New trainer bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
At the risk of sounding like I work for them (I don't)

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100-road-bike-id_8377732.html
What a great bike. I'm almost tempted to go and buy myself an expensive trainer just to get an excuse to buy this cheap bike :wacko:, it looks like fun. Gear range is 38" to 91" or thereabouts.

@Ride2017 If you're not planning to ride this on the roads primarily, surely it doesn't matter where the shifter is. It's indexed and you'll take about 2 minutes to get used to it.

Edit but note that the rear wheel is nutted, and there was a thread recently on nutted vs QR wheels for trainers.

Last edited:

S-Express

How would you change gear? I prefer to use the brake/gear change.

This is for a bike that's going to be mounted on a trainer, yes? Efficient gear changes are largely irrelevant, as the objective of being on a trainer is usually to spend specific durations at specific effort levels.

OP
OP
Ride2017

Ride2017

This is for a bike that's going to be mounted on a trainer, yes? Efficient gear changes are largely irrelevant, as the objective of being on a trainer is usually to spend specific durations at specific effort levels.
It might at some point go out on the road and I'm guessing that the combo I want will be more sellable if it comes to that but at the end of the day I want what I want.

vickster

Legendary Member
It might at some point go out on the road and I'm guessing that the combo I want will be more sellable if it comes to that but at the end of the day I want what I want.
How much do you want to spend? Virtually any roadbike would be suitable for a trainer

Yorksman

Nothing.... Going to the shed and carrying it up the stairs to the spare room putting it on the trainer then taking it all back would be a PITA.

I agree. You want to be able to just get on the thing without too much fuss. I have an i-Flow and I had my son's abandonned kids mountain bike on it to begin with and, when I found I used it a lot I upgraded. I needed one with better gearing, for roads, but without going for a racer. I bought an old bike frame and put new wheels and gears on it. In total it cost me £160 but, I could have bought a 2nd hand one for that. It doesn't matter if it is a heavy bike. All you want is to be comfortable and have gearing which means you can cycle with a cadence you are happy with.

Save your money on the bike and buy the films for the Tacx.

Top Bottom