New Triban RC520...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MilkRace

Hi

In sharp contrast to my previous post, in which I asked about the beautiful, but rather expensive Condor Leggero 150, this time I am wondering if anyone has any experience or insight into the newly launched Triban range by Decathalon. They have jettisoned the B'Twin brand name in favour of Triban and it seems as though their latest package is quite something.

Unfortunately, here in Australia Decathalon have no plans to introduce this new range in the foreseeable future, so in order to get my grubby mitts on one it seems I'll have to make the trek back to good old Blighty (which is on the cards anyway, I think).

Any opinions...(on the bike that is)....?

Triban-RC520-630x420.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
It certainly looks smutty.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like another great bike.

Have you tried asking them if they could bring one over for you on special order? Down here they told me if I want something they'd be willing to order it in.

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Yes I did ask but they said something I knew already...."It would be very, very expensive to import one bike"

Fair enough. It would be cheaper to buy one and ship it back myself......!

Cheers

Norm

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Good specs for the price and has received good reviews in the media, but would love to hear from someone who has actually ridden one....might be asking a lot though.......or maybe not...?

i had a look at my local decathlon last week.

first impressions are that its a good bike, even thinking of one myself.

sat on it but didn't ride it but first impressions are good.

and as someone else has said, the spec for the price is good and is a pretty versatile machine with all the rack and guard mounts you may need.

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

I suppose only time will tell how it goes as more and more people buy one and post reviews.

Decathalon here in Oz tell me that they will see how sales go in Europe before they launch them in India and Japan.....only then, and if all goes well, will they consider selling them here.

Anybody would think we're on Mars....!

Norm

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't see how they reckon cost would be prohibitive. After all, it'll come from exactly the same warehouse as their other bikes next time World Headquarters load up another deliver for them. All they need do is click a mouse and the model will be loaded into the container with all their other bikes. I suspect it's their way of saying "we can't be arrissed."

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Possibly, but I can only go by what they say......and as mentioned above, they might not even release this new range until....who knows...?

Might also have something to do with selling off the old stock first too. Time will out.....!

The 520 version is pretty good, and superb VFM ( as per usual from Decathlon ). It has the cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes, which although aren’t my cup of tea on a road focused bike, are a very neat solution. I like the fact it has the dropped seat stay design as well. I reckon it will be a cracking good buy, if adventure road bikes are your thing.

The 520 version is pretty good, and superb VFM ( as per usual from Decathlon ). It has the cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes, which although aren’t my cup of tea on a road focused bike, are a very neat solution. I like the fact it has the dropped seat stay design as well. I reckon it will be a cracking good buy, if adventure road bikes are your thing.

I see it as more than that tbh

There is plenty of clearance for nobblies and good rack mounts so reasonable off road possibilities and touring also, gearing dependant obviously

I'm really considering breaking my Steel only rule for one of them

le_al_khemista

I've been considering getting one myself. It ticks most of my needs as an good value all-rounder (mudguards, tyre clearance, rackmounts, etc.). The only exceptions being the aluminium frame and the gearing as I'm looking into doing some light touring and that might be a bit of a stretch for this kind of set up.

Here are my first impressions from another post:

So, the reason I logged in was to say that I went to check out the new Triban RC520 and must say that I'm highly impressed!

The ride felt quite smooth, perhaps not as much as the Eq but we're also comparing 6061 aluminium with Reynolds 725, very comfortable geometry. Ditto for the shifting. However I'd put this down to the new 105 (R7000). Didn't know what to expect from the TRP HY/RD brakes but again, they didn't disappointing at all. Although bite point is a bit more in than what I'm used to with rim brakes, once the calipers do bite they are quite effective and precise - perhaps even too much, I can see myself flying over the handlebars the first time I take the bike out in the real world...

Clearly great value for money but whether it's the right choice for me... ummmm... :unsure:

Top Bottom