New tv, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Moving soon and unable to take our existing tv with us, so got to purchase a new one. So much choice!! And so technicalšŸ˜³

Ive got about Ā£600 to spend, smart tv for netflix seems standard, but am confused about the other things, led, oled, qled, 8k, 4k etc. Looking at 50 to 55 inch. Also whats the difference between freeview and freeview play?

Will be getting sky installed i think but if not do tvs come with built in hard drives now or do i still need a freeview box to record programmes on?

If you are to reply with some advice, imagine you are talking to a 5 year old about something very complex šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

D

Deleted member 26715

https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freeview/freeview-play Freeview is just watching live, play is streaming by the looks of it

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
When buying choose either Richer Soinds, John Lewis, or Costco for the warranty. There isnā€™t a huge number of channels broadcasting in 4k, so a FullHD TV would save you a decent amount of money. 55 inch from Ā£300-Ā£400 for a decent model I reckon.

Smudge

Veteran
I always try to buy TV's from JL or RS because of the 5 yr warranty. Both will often price match other sellers as well.
I dont bother with the memory stick recording, its too basic. I like to have a seperate PVR to record on, i've just bought a new one after my last PVR packed up. After a bit of research, the Manhattan T3 came out on top.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to JL or RS and see which ones you like the look of. They're much of a muchness at that price point, esp if adding Sky

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
In my experience with tv's and also hi-fi products you'll pay a premium for the current model. Some manufacturers like Hisense price their products the same whatever. The big brands like Samsung, Panasonic etc, charge a premium for the current model and reduce it considerably when it's coming to the end of it's run, and a new model is due.

Last year I bought a Samsung UE55NU8000 for Ā£929, to find it down to Ā£729 a month later. I'm sure I bought it around about this time of year, possibly earlier. Very good tv, but I got fleeced. I needed a tv as I broke my other. It's a shame these manufacturers do this, but that's how they operate. People like the latest model and will pay for it, when it offers little over the outgoing one.

I'd ask about it on avforums, or if there is some way to tack the price of tv models etc, I'm disappointing that I got suckered, but that's consumerism I guess...

classic33

Leg End Member
July-August is the best time to go looking to buy new electronic goods. The new models will have been released, or at least made known. The older stuff will be lowered in price to clear.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As said john lewis for tvs

Cheaper tv LED tend to have poor picure quality from off centre viewing, straight on is usually ok.
I bought 2new 300 quid 4k tvs a couple of months ago and took both back.
I've stuck with my older tv, i didnt like the latest jobs. Ill have to spend a lot more when its needed.
Why, well the screens seemed to hurt my eyes, flicker like a strip light type of thing.

My mate bought a Samsung curved tv about 550 and that's ok but i dont like the curve.

Bear in mind some tv providers charge extra for 4k, virgin do and its not cheap.
Also when viewing in a shop the tvs are all full on with everything set to wow!!
Looks ok in a big shop but not great in a 12'x12 living room..

Go look and see, Do look at them from an angle unless your going to be sat square on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Black Friday is only a month off if you can wait. There'll be some deals but you'll need to be swift

vickster

Legendary Member
July-August is the best time to go looking to buy new electronic goods. The new models will have been released, or at least made known. The older stuff will be lowered in price to clear.
It is now however late October...Black Friday and the Boxing Day sales are closer ;)

Top Bottom