New tyre choice for Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SiHH

Regular
Hi I'm looking for some advice.

New to cycling and am currently running the following on my Ridgeback Velocity Hybrid:

Front:
Continental Contact Safety System 37-622 28x13/8x15x8
Alexrims F1CE-19 Double Wall 622-17

Rear:
Continental Touring Plus
Accedo Double Wall

I used the bike for the last few months of last year and was suitably impressed with the set up when riding on the road but when on slightly harsher ground (cycle track, canal path etc) it wasn't quite so good. Had some hairy moments when hitting some gravel!

Ideally I'd like some tyres that perform really well on the road but also give me the stability on rougher ground, as puncture resistant as possible too would be the ideal.

My aim is to start doing some touring on my bike and would love to ride from London to Paris via cycle routes.

Is my tyre wish realistic and if so what can you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Cyclist33

Hi

I can recommend schwalbe Smart Sams, because they have a slightly soft rubber which is grippy, but a near-continuous centre-line tread pattern so they keep rolling on the road, plus decent knobbliness for tracks and paths etc.

Ok, there is an ulterior motive! I've got a nearly-new pair, they've only done about 50 miles and nothing too rough so in good condition. I never use them and have advertised them on here before, £20 the pair. They cost £40 when I got them.

Depends if you're nearby tho...!

Stu

OP
OP
SiHH

SiHH

Regular
Thanks for the recommendation Stu I will look in to those.

I'm in Herts. Will they fit my rims?

Cyclist33

Minefield!

Generally for thse type of tyres, wider = more comfortable and stable on light trails. But also heavier = harder to pedal espec. uphill. (compared to same tyre in thinner size)

Top Bottom