New tyres arrived curled in half

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I ordered some new tyres and they arrived yesterday, which if the dispatch note is true were stuck in the postal system for 5 days. The 2 tyres were twisted into a figure of 8 and then on top of each other.

I presume it was ok to fold them like that - the fact the supplier did it. But do I need to do anything special to the tyres now... they are still slightly deformed.

They are the studded Winter tyres - note they arrived the same day as the snow left:biggrin: but I'm hoping they may have some value on ice, so I was intending to put them on my second bike.

Will1985

Über Member
Quite normal - easy way to carry or store tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shame the tyres took so long to arrive.... I had to collect mine from the courier. Wiggle, in true over packing style, sent my tyres in wheel boxes ;)

The tyres will be fine, they will pop back into shape.

This is one of the big Questions that not many bike shops know the right answer. By the sounds of it the way you got your tyres is the wrong way which can kink the beed which in turn can stop it fitting right on the rim and can come off. But if you wish to know the right way I was going to try and wright it up but I found out that Sheldon Brown (RIP) has done a video.

Tyre folding

Davidc

Guru
Mine have arrived like that since I started getting them mail order - a long time ago! I've never had a problem related to it, but I do normally hang them up and let them go back into shape before use.

I had a Schwalbe New Marathon arrive from SJS yesterday, and it had been stuck in the post (about a week to do 11 miles). It's nearly back to smooth curves this morning, and will get fitted next week.

02GF74

Über Member
summerdays said:
I presume it was ok to fold them like that - the fact the supplier did it. But do I need to do anything special to the tyres now... they are still slightly deformed.

They are the studded Winter tyres - note they arrived the same day as the snow left:biggrin: but I'm hoping they may have some value on ice, so I was intending to put them on my second bike.

unwind and let them stand; the wire should not be kinked and be undistortd all the way round. try to fit them, that should sort them out, if you have trouble fitting due to any kinks, then see if you can straighten out the kinked part.

now the snow/ice has gone, perfect timeing!!??? ;):evil:

potsy

Rambler
02GF74 said:
unwind and let them stand; the wire should not be kinked and be undistortd all the way round. try to fit them, that should sort them out, if you have trouble fitting due to any kinks, then see if you can straighten out the kinked part.

now the snow/ice has gone, perfect timeing!!??? :tongue::evil:
Yeah next time can you order them a couple of weeks earlier please,you jinx;)

potsy

Rambler
02GF74 said:

now the snow/ice has gone, perfect timeing!!??? :tongue::evil:
Yeah next time can you order them a couple of weeks earlier please,you jinx;)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
spandex said:
Sheldon Brown (RIP) has done a video.

Tyre folding

thanks for that link. :tongue:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for the advice - I'll have a go at fitting them later and see how it goes.

Now if I had known that ordering tyres could get rid of snow... would I order the tyres earlier - only by one day - I enjoyed most of it - except how little I got out on the bike.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for the advice - I'll have a go at fitting them later and see how it goes.

Now if I had known that ordering tyres could get rid of snow... would I order the tyres earlier - only by one day - I enjoyed most of it - except how little I got out on the bike.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
spandex said:
This is one of the big Questions that not many bike shops know the right answer. By the sounds of it the way you got your tyres is the wrong way which can kink the beed which in turn can stop it fitting right on the rim and can come off. But if you wish to know the right way I was going to try and wright it up but I found out that Sheldon Brown (RIP) has done a video.

Tyre folding

Thats only true for steel beaded tyres. Kevlar beaded tyres can be folded much more easily and as such some tyres are marketed as folding tyres. Example

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
spandex said:

Tyre folding

Thats only true for steel beaded tyres. Kevlar beaded tyres can be folded much more easily and as such some tyres are marketed as folding tyres. Example

Top Bottom