new tyres or risk it?(advice needed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

(previously posted in error in the wrong place)

out on sunday i noticed what i thought was a buckle in my rear wheel, turned out the tyre was frayed about 3 inches long right by the rim of the tyre. Then i noticed some fine cracks running almost the whole way around the side of my front tyre, and some small cracking on the rear one too. Luckily i got home without it all falling to bits but i dont want to risk it.

the main tread of the tyres is good to be going on with. interestingly i'd just had the bike serviced and the tyres had been inflated - could they have been overinflated thus causing cracks? the bike shop man said "run them on 90" whereas the max recommended pressure is 85 ?

So, is it a case of urgent tyre replacement or do tyres run for a while on such wear? Thanks

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I'd replace 'em. That sidewall's not going to get any better.

I doubt that 5psi extra would cause you huge amounts of problems. Personally, I survive without a pressure gauge, relying instead on the rule of my thumb.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

CHEERS, I'M PLAYING IT SAFE AND CHANGING THEM. HAD A GOOD YEAR OUT OF THEM AND A FEW HUNDRED MILES ANYWAY

monnet

Guru
Mr Pig said:
Over inflation could do that but it would need to be a lot. Only lasting a year is not brilliant though, I'd consider a different brand.

That would rather depend on your annual mileage, surely?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Anyone who gets a year out tyres is doing alright in my book. I go through at least five sets of tyres yearly, and i'm not doing high mileage!

(2 mtb sets, 3 road sets)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It depends how long you run your tyres for and what kind i guess.
MTB tyres are next to useless as soon as the knobbles have gone round.
Road tyres wear pretty fast and as soon as they start flatting a lot, they're rubbish.

A decent race tyre won't last much more than 2k imo before it starts losing grip. so then its rubbish.

how long do you get Mr Pig?

I got a year (3700miles) out of my rear 4 season (25mm) used in all weathers, got over 2 years (2700miles) out of my grand prix (23mm) but they're only used in summer, they didn't need replaced but were replaced anyway. The commuter has still got the same treads after over 3 years (just under 6000mile in all weathers) and show no sign of wear on the 37mm tread.
So I my limited experience I'd say tyre life depends on the width but I'm sure its not a simple as that rider, use, etc must play a part :biggrin:

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

mines a hybrid, a lot narrower than a MTB tyre, smoother middle, knobbly edges. Inyterestingly theyre the same brand (kenda - chinese made) THAT CAME STOCK ON THE BIKE - GIANT CRS 3.0. Confusingly the max recommended pressure on the new ones is 75, it was more like 80 on the old ones and yet (on the old ones) edinburgh cycle co-operative guy on the maintenance course recommended i run them at 60, but my LBS chaps last week (serviced my bike) had them hard as rocks and suggested running on 90 ?? i'm quite anxious about damaging them with overinflation but equally dont like riding on flabby tyres.
As for wear ; well i got the bike nearly a year ago, i did two 50 (ish) MILE events and as long as its not too wet or slippy i average a good 2 - 3 hours on a sunday and a couple of hours 2 - 3 weeknights. I'm mostly on road but also increasingly on cycle paths, which locally are often gravel . also i've done a fair bit 'rough' which i believe the hybrid is supposed to tolerate - not TOO rough mind. So although i was surprised at the damage i'm happy if i can get the best part of a year out of two £10 tyres.

i only noticed the fraying and cracks 2 days after my LBS serviced the bike and i still wonder if overinflating tyres that have had a fair bit use could have done it.
also of note i'm about 16 - 17 stone currently and i was carrying 3 full water bottles and two ortlieb panniers on the back - adds up to a fair bit weight.
I'm more for leisure than out and out pushing it / fitness and at about one years cycling from scrath i still consider myself a novice with a lot to learn from people like yourselves.

oh by the way what a bloody job changing two tyres was ! wheels/tyres off and on was a doddle but re- setting my brakes and getting my bloody floor pump to work properly was a right hassle !

Mr Pig

Steve Austin said:
how long do you get Mr Pig?

The Nimbus tyres seem to last quite well, I get about a year out of them. I don't rotate them, basically because I can't be bothered! When the rear tread wears down to not much left I replace both tyres.

Top Bottom