New Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In a few decades of cycling, the worst I've known was someone's just-inflated-correctly tyre now pushing harder on an undiscovered-before sharp edge inside the rim and the inner tube exploding as the pump was detached. Not heard of one exploding the tyre... if it does manage to blow the tyre off, the worst should be it locking the back wheel and you skidding to a stop.

Best keep an eye on the min and max on the side of the tyre, though.

I'm feeling normal today (which is pedantic) so I have to correct something. A puncture in a tube, no matter how it happened - like you say because of inflating it into a sharp object or a sharp object simply penetrating from outside, cannot make a tyre explode. It simply deflates. An explosive noise only happens if the tube bursts outside of the tyre. This always happens when the tyre bead lifts off from over inflation and allows the tube to herniate underneath the bead and explode. The tube retracts faster than the bead can close again and once your ears stop ringing and you look at the wheel, you think the tube exploded inside because it is now inside.

An explosive sound is that of rapidly expanding air and it cannot rapidly expand when confined inside a tyre. Therefore all punctures are damp squibs.

this one is $450, not sure what exchange rate is but that's stupid!
http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/spo...-expensive-bicycle-pump-ever-created-20150507

That's the one. It is the only pump I'll allow near my fancy wheels and I heartily recommend it. I have a similar one but mine has the optional ivory handles with gold inserts in the side.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
An explosive noise only happens if the tube bursts outside of the tyre. This always happens when the tyre bead lifts off from over inflation and allows the tube to herniate underneath the bead and explode.
Always? So I didn't hear a big bang when the air escaped out of the sharp-edged valve hole after the cut had taken the valve out of the way? ;)

And while we're being pedantic, I did write that the tube exploded in that case, not the tyre. That tyre had a fairly long and useful life afterwards. And in the other case, I wrote it might blow the tyre off (which is what seems to be being described), not explode it. So the above seems to be correcting nothing while I think containing a slight oversight of a freak case in "always". :smile:

Widge

Baldy Go
All good advice here........

If you are mainly riding your 'mtb' on-road......then there is no or little advantage in riding big volume nobblie tyres-in fact-quite the opposite.

For many years I rode a serious f-off full suspension mountain bike...and yes....I DID (sometimes) off-road it with its chunky and expensiveness nobblies! Increasingly it found only road use as I got a bit more ancient and eventually I bought a road bike which I now adore. I still have my fs mtb however and replaced the heavy, noisy and (for road use inefficient) tyres with slicker lighter Schwalbe 'City Jets'. The bike still managed to cope with a bit of off-road/gravel track. Now I have it equipped with Michelin 'Wild R'nr'- 1.40 inch slicks and it just transformed it into a much more road friendly runner. So...tyre choice can make a huge amount of difference. If you want to keep your mtb but transform it somewhat then don't be afraid to buy some minimalist slicker jobbies. Both the tyres I have mentioned where less than a tenner each and made a huge difference.

Of course...if you are riding now exclusively on the road, then a road bike and tyres are your weapon of choice...but even here there are options that will enable your road bike to cope with the occasional rough stuff.

All best

w

U

User169

An explosive noise only happens if the tube bursts outside of the tyre. This always happens when the tyre bead lifts off from over inflation and allows the tube to herniate underneath the bead and explode. The tube retracts faster than the bead can close again and once your ears stop ringing and you look at the wheel, you think the tube exploded inside because it is now inside.

Had this happen a few weeks ago. It made an almighty bang - people came running out of surrounding shops to see what was going on.

I got a limited edition which was a Paul Smith and Rapha collaboration, only cost me £1,999 (and 99 pence).
Yebut you have't got the one with the Breitling pressure gauge works, do you?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd recommend Schwalbe Land Cruisers tyres, quick enough on road and with just enough grip to cope with a bit of off roading if you fancy it.

A decent track pump is also with its weight in gold. Wiggle have the excellent Topeak Joe Blow Sport II (RRP £36.99) on offer at £23.29 - Halfords will price match that if you prefer to buy in store.

Try pumping the tyres up to the stated maximum pressure and see how you get on. If they're a bit too hard / bouncy you can always reduce the pressure a bit.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Yebut you have't got the one with the Breitling pressure gauge works, do you?
You're kidding me, where do I get one? Can I get one gold plated and covered in Swaroski 'crystals'? I'll pay double if it comes with a number and a copied signature from somebody who used to be famous (triple if it's called the Diamond edition).

OP
OP
M

markyboy22

Cheers for all the advice, finally got round to grabbing myself a half decent track pump from halfords and it makes a world of difference. I feel fairly stupid because it would seem it was just tyre pressure all along and although they felt fully pumped up when I pressed down with my thumb they were far from it.

The max. pressure my tyres can take is 50psi so I have pumped them up to just under this and will see how I get on, however I can already tell from the brief ride I had up the road last night that it's a huge improvement.

Thanks again for educating this simpleton.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Which track pump did you got for in the end?
Glad your problem has been solved :okay:

Another good slick for heavy riders is Schwalbe Big Apple. It is a tough, fat balloon tyres that rolls very well and soaks up rough road, cobble etc and has good puncture protection. I use for urban commutes and it rolls well enough. You loose some high end speed due to aerodynamic resistance, but gain some lower speed cruising speed, esp over cobbles, so the net gain depends on the distance and terrain.
Schwalbe balloon tyres use racing style tyre carcass which is much more efficient than the ones found on cheap budget tyres.

Tye pressure is 35-75psi which is lower than you would use in a narrow racing tyre.

Top Bottom