New Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there. One of my friends has acquired a bike and has to buy new tyres. What size of tyres/tubes should he buy? I'm a road cyclist so I don't know!

The information from the wall of the tyres:

26 x 1.75 and 26 x 1.95

I don't have any pics - sorry!

Thanks in advance

AndyRM

XOXO
Something like this if he's riding on the road/light trails:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/panaracer-gravel-king-mtb-bike-tyre/rp-prod149481

Or this for rougher stuff:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-black-jack-mtb-tyre/rp-prod48767

And as for tubes:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-mtb-26-tube/rp-prod18901

Other websites and brands are available, but most have filters so just put in the wheel diameter (26) and rim width (1.75/1.95) - a quick look suggests quite a few places currently have low stock levels particularly the smaller retailers.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Just to re-enter the tyres thing ..... i'm confused ..... again ...
I have a Raleigh MTB frame, canti brakes, with 26 x 1.75 tyres .......
Its a lovely frame and i want to build up a road / off road / forest track ..(sorry "Gravel" ) drop handlebar bike based on it ..
I also have a lovely pair of 650B wheels, hand built by SPA Cycles ...given free by a nice lady...
Now .......... are these 2 wheel sizes basically the same ?
Assuming they are interchangeable ....
What 25mm (ish) road tyres do i buy for the 650B's ..... puncture strip Vittoria's perhaps .... cheap is also good ,,,?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just to re-enter the tyres thing ..... i'm confused ..... again ...
I have a Raleigh MTB frame, canti brakes, with 26 x 1.75 tyres .......
Its a lovely frame and i want to build up a road / off road / forest track ..(sorry "Gravel" ) drop handlebar bike based on it ..
I also have a lovely pair of 650B wheels, hand built by SPA Cycles ...given free by a nice lady...
Now .......... are these 2 wheel sizes basically the same ?
Assuming they are interchangeable ....
What 25mm (ish) road tyres do i buy for the 650B's ..... puncture strip Vittoria's perhaps .... cheap is also good ,,,?

This looks like a non-starter to me.

The Spa wheels have a diameter of 27.5", although it's the radius that is crucial to whether the wheels will fit in the frame.

That's an extra 3/4", which would almost certainly make the wheel - plus tyre - foul the fork and seat stay bridges.

Next problem is the brakes.

Canti blocks have some up and down adjustment, but I doubt there is enough upwards to prevent the blocks attempting to grip the spokes of the Spa wheels.

Then there's the hubs, and then there's the dropouts - one or both could easily not fit.

Oh, and have we even established if the Spa wheels are suitable for rim brakes?

Lots of modern wheels are disc only.

If you can get over all those possible snags you would deserve the title of Fettler of the Year.

Top Bottom