New tyres??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k8srd

How often should you change your tyres? Commute virgin and only started this year and not sure when they are done??

Thanks all

Scott

Mr Pig

Everybody's different. Some people run them until they're through to the string or have bulges out the side. I typically change them when the tread gets low.

The bottom line is that the thinner the tread area the more likely you are to get punctures. Also, the older the tyres the more likely you are to get cracks and bulges in them.

briank

How much of a hassle is it if you puncture on your way in to work? If arriving 10 mins late and grubby is a real problem then you can't wait till you puncture frequently, or at all. So when the tread's gone from a central strip around the tyre and that strip is perceptibly flattened off - bin 'em.
Or at least the back one.

Mr Pig

briank said:
How much of a hassle is it if you puncture on your way in to work? If arriving 10 mins late and grubby is a real problem then you can't wait till you puncture frequently, or at all.

I agree. I time it to arrive at work ten minutes early just in case though.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
When the rims start making sparks.

IME (5 months of commuting!) they last longer than the chain, my chain is now needing replacement. My tyres would still be fine (indeed Mr Houtkop's are) had I not managed to ride over a screw a good inch long and embed it in my tyre, which left a nice big hole!

Top Bottom