New Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a similar query along the same lines, I have got a Revolution cross with 700x33 tyres. They are a bit chunky and I was looking to change them for something a bit more slick, do i have to replace them with the same size or could I go for a 700x25 or 23? All the 33 tyres seem to have a chunky pattern, sorry if this is a really stupid question.
bontrager Racelights come in 32 x 700 I have them on my commuter bike, quite fast rolling and long lasting.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've had my budget road bike since last summer. About Autumn I had my first puncture, luckily I noticed at home not out on the road (slow punc) because my tyres are absolute beggars to get off the rim, really tough. So tough that everytime I yanked them back on I trapped the innertube and bust it again. I took it into my local bike shop and they winced at the poor quality lol.

Yanked rang alarm bells. You should ease the tyres back on - here's the much linked to Spa cycles video

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-XUFVrl0UT4

If your rims have 25mm tyres 23mm should fit fine. Another vote here for Conti Gatorskins - I prefer the folding version - they are much lighter. I use 23mm, but you can get 25mm ones. Keep your tyres inflated. They will lose pressure naturally if left unused. The valves can also stick so push them in briefly before attaching the pump. Have you got a track pump? If you have had a puncture make sure you have removed whatever caused it from the tyre before replacing the tube, otherwise it will just repuncture. I can't imagine the inner tubes are such bad quality that they spontaneously puncture.

OP
OP
Holy Warrior

Holy Warrior

It's good to know that I can purchase 23's not just 25's that really opens up some bargains if I do choose to upgrade. New tryes then upgrading to clipless pedals should see this bike last a long time.

youngoldbloke, I do know what you are saying about yanking. The problem is the tyres are so solid and inelastic that you do really need to force them on, force the levers under etc. I know I haven't racked up a great deal of miles on the bike but it's 500+ and they are still so. Thanks for the technique video too, that has highlighted some tips/tricks that I can use, cheers!

My thanks to you all for some great advice and patience!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
HW - Just fitted a new Gatorskin to my winter bike - BIG struggle! (Had to resort to a tyre lever too!). I'm sure tyres stretch with use - the old tyre (Vittoria) I could get back on with just thumbs, but I remember it being quite tight when new.

edit: - just fitted the front one too - much easier. Maybe dimensions vary from tyre to tyre as well.

Top Bottom