New version of Memory Map available

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just discovered that version 6.4.1 of Memory Map is available for Windows (HERE).

I have a quick play with it and AT LONG LAST the team at MM have provided a feature that many of us have been wanting for years, but which for some reason had not been available... we can now join and split routes without having to mess about converting to tracks then converting back again!

They have also dramatically improved the speed of auto-routeing. It used to take many seconds to do a complex route but I just gave it a very twisty turny one covering a great distance and it completed it in less than a second.

I think that a couple of annoying bugs may have been fixed but I won't know for sure until I have been using the software for a week or so. I'll post later one way or the other...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

There is a length limit of 100 miles for auto-routeing. I'm not sure what it used to be? Anyway, it did a route that long so quickly that I couldn't time it.

I had a broken rogue route in Scotland that I couldn't delete with the old version. This version managed to un-break it so I could finally delete it! :laugh:

I used to have problems with waypoints on some hidden routes being visible when opening Memory Map. They seem to stay hidden now until I show the route again.

I don't think that the mobile apps have been updated. I would have liked them to add elevation readouts to the apps.

Any advantages over just using something like cycle-travel and OSMand?
I've tried everything that comes along and still revert to my old, and not very kosher, Memory Map. Mine is the original disc version but it still knocks spots off all other systems.
I'm tempted to take out a subscription to get the latest road info on 1:25 000.

Venod

Eh up
I have MM but not used it for a while, I have a subscription to OS but I have used neither for route planning.
For those familiar with both systems are there any thoughts on which is the better software.

I have MM but not used it for a while, I have a subscription to OS but I have used neither for route planning.
For those familiar with both systems are there any thoughts on which is the better software.
I've tried both. I prefer the route planning ability of MM. Easier to plot or amend a route. Tracks on MM are also useful for a variety of things.
Also, if you plot carefully you can give yourself decent TBT instructions. Lije anything - you need to learn the ins and outs.
A lot of it may be down to personal preference, but I didn't renew OS.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Any advantages over just using something like cycle-travel and OSMand?
I sometimes use cycle.travel for ideas but always switch to MM later because I like to finish/look at routes on OS maps.

I haven't looked at OSMAnd but that obviously uses OSM too, which I don't think is as nice to look at.

I don't really like MM much for planning urban cycle routes but I usually try to avoid towns and cities as much as possible so that isn't a huge issue. I would use cycle.travel to show me cycle routes in urban areas. I did that when planning routes in and out of York.

Reactions: gom

gom

Über Member
I like
1. Being able to store the recorded track of all walks & cycles in one place. The overlay panel makes it easy to show/hide as wanted.
2. OS mapping.
3. Also using for route planning, where appropriate.
Part of the fun of cycling is using a paper map to plan your ride as you are doing it.

Top Bottom