New Waterproof Trousers required - is it worth getting a ladies style?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yesterday I was totally soaked...:ohmy: I had to get to work at exactly the time the rain started .... I was wearing my waterproof coat and some old waterproof trousers (walking ones), and they let in enough rain that I could actually feel it running down my legs - yuk!!
Arrived at the other end and removed all the outer layers (including the things called shoes that more closely resembled a container to keep water in ... they are still drying even now the next day), and every one had a good laugh at how wet you could get on a bike.

Anyway I need new waterproof ones - but do I just buy mens ones - more choice of styles? My inside leg would measure about 33 in, but I would definately have more around the hip than the average man. I have to stand around in the rain too so I don't want rain legs. Any recommendations?

I'll be watching this thread too - my old waterproof trousers (Peter Storm walking trousers from Blacks) are no longer waterproof. They were good for a year, I think there's just been one too many monsoons in 2007! I can't actually see any holes/rips in them, but the water seems now to seep in.

I tried on some rainlegs at the cycle show - TBH I couldn't see that they would be that good for heavy-ish rain, as they don't cover the backs of your knees/legs, which is an area that always gets soaked. Mind you this area gets soaked in the waterproofs I have now so.....

Sorry Summerdays this is actually no help at all!!! I would say women's trousers will fit better (but I'm a short-ar$e so I've got to go for a female-specific fit).

PrettyboyTim

I bought some rainlegs and got try them out yesterday morning. I thought they worked quite well, but then I wasn't worried about anything below the knee getting wet as I was wearing shorts anyway. (Not cycling shorts, just a pair of bog standard 'cargo' shorts).

I did find afterwards that the one place the water had run down and got onto my shorts was around my crotch giving me a slightly 'I've wet myself' look but as I tend to change into trousers when I get into work anyway I wasn't bothered. The other thing is that the rainlegs have an elasticated breathable webbing bit at the top, and you need to make sure your jacket covers this bit otherwise you end up with a big wet stripe going across the top of your shorts, just below the waist.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My cheap Aldi ones worked well through a couple of floods and heavy rain last week - arrived rather dry actually.. also had neoprene overshoes on, with cut out plastic bags under to keep the feet dry - old trick and worked well.

If they only last a year, I'll buy some more next time...

Danny

Legendary Member
I can't comment on whether women specific waterproofs trousers are a good idea, but am now definitely sold on the idea of cycling specific ones.

A couple of years ago I bought my first cycling specific waterproof trousers, and thought it was a great improvement over wearing walking trousers. Basically they were cut better for cycling, have fasteners around the ankles to stop them flapping around, and have reflective bits at the back of your calf.

Mine were made by Polaris, but I am imagine Altura waterproofs would be pretty much the same.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have some dhb ones which are ok...but like all waterproof stuff I find the sweat just means I get almost as wet with them as without them...they do keep me warmer though in a cold downpour. On my trip this year I used them more on the campsite than the bike

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
PrettyboyTim said:
the one place the water had run down and got onto my shorts was around my crotch giving me a slightly 'I've wet myself' look

Well that was me but I didn't have any spare trousers :ohmy:... luckily they dried fairly fast. I've now checked the trousers since they are dry and found that the tape sealing the seams in that area are completely detatched. It was coming in so fast that I felt as if I had wet myself but it was cold water running down my leg.

Has anyone tried the Endura Gridlock trousers or one of the Altura ones? (No decathlon near by and can't wait till Aldi next stock them but thanks for the suggestions).

I've got the aldi men's ones from last year, so far I have stayed dry, and they are cut very similar to trackie bottoms, so not had a problem with the men's fit (plus at least the legs are long enough)

Chigley

Regarding your final spend, don't spend too much, because you will always get wet however much you spend.

It's the law of diminishing returns

cyclebum

I've been following this with interest as I have been trying to find some myself without any luck (being a short arse though I don't think mens would do for me). I tried out my walkers but they are too baggy at the ankle and I worried about it catching in the chain. Luckily I don't commute so that is not a problem, but for comforts sake I have wondered about the sweating problem as mentioned by bigtallfatbloke. Anything breathable will surely costalota!

buddha

Veteran
summerdays said:
Has anyone tried the Endura Gridlock trousers or one of the Altura ones? (No decathlon near by and can't wait till Aldi next stock them but thanks for the suggestions).
Not women's specific but:

I have the Altura Dryline trousers. They do a good job of keeping the rain etc out but are a bit boil-in-the-bag. Very durable, though not really that comfortable for a longer commute, especially for us bigger thighed blokes:blush:. And TBH they've been gathering dust since last year.

Recently I've been using my Ronhill DXB Bikesters in the rain. Which aren't as waterproof, but a lot more comfortable.

Hello all BTW. My first post here :blush:

Perry

Stay away from Peter Storm waterproof over trousers.

I used some today and got soaked. Only bonus was I wasn't dirty as the trousers filtered out the dirt.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Wow that was a long time ago.. though I still remember that particular rain deluge - how to get very wet, very quickly.

I ended up borrowing (on a long term basis) Mr Summerdays Gill ones which he had just bought. They are still going fairly strong despite being used frequently - so I would possibly buy the same again next time around. He up'd his budget and bought some eVENT ones which he loves.

(But I find it much harder to get on and off the bike in them, and they also slow me down).

Top Bottom