New wheel fouling mudguard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Just changed from a Shimano RS21 rear wheel to a Mavic aksium, using the same tyre as previously.

The new wheel is fouling the guard to the extent that it doesn't freely turn.

I assumed both wheels would be the same diameter? Are there slight differences in rim height?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
could be wider.

boydj

Legendary Member
I have this problem on my do-it-all bike, which runs 28mm tyres. It's a case of getting the mudguard fitting just right, particularly under the rear brake and inside the rear triangle. I actually have mine under a bit of tension to maximise the radius of the guard and it still gets noisy when running on roads with grit on the surface.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Ahh didn't think about that, I think they are.

Would prefer not to have to go to 23mm on the rear....

My old Ribble will only run with 23mm with guards due to restricted clearance under the brake bridge The original spec quoted 23 with gaurds25 without,Back then 23 was more the norm than today.

Just fitted Michelin Endurance and clearance under the brake bridge was very tight.A bit of bending with the pliers improved things a touch.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
The blue Ribble winter audax? That's what I'm running. I've seen a thread where people have used zip ties instead of the rear mount to get a bit of extra clearance.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Sorted! The plastic bridge support (attached to the rear brake caliper) was forcing the guard to sit too low.

Removed and replaced with a small zip tie - was quite a fiddly process.

Stuck a couple larger zip ties in the saddlebag in case the little one breaks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just changed from a Shimano RS21 rear wheel to a Mavic aksium, using the same tyre as previously. The new wheel is fouling the guard to the extent that it doesn't freely turn.
I assumed both wheels would be the same diameter? Are there slight differences in rim height?

Sorted! The plastic bridge support (attached to the rear brake caliper) was forcing the guard to sit too low.
If the OP has remounted the same tyre then the difference is that the Aksiums have a wider inner rim width (17mm) than the RS21s (20.8mm outer rim width) and the tyre (at the same pressure) will measure wider (eg wider than 25mm for a 25-622 tyre). Surprised it's measuring higher as well.
What sort of mudguards are these? Most use a metal bridge support.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
They're the SKS chromoplastic guards.

I think the rims themselves are sitting slightly higher than the RS21s as I had to pull the pads up a bit after installing the new wheels.

Pretty disappointed with the RS21 rims, worn down in a year!

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Was the self adhesive disc you used sticky on both sides, or used more to prevent rubbing? I don't think mine will hold under tension from the stays alone.

Top Bottom