New wheels, again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I didnt know you could order direct from Hope, I'll remember that for next time :laugh:

A few minor updates to the project:

The black rear hub arrived last week and the orange one shouldn't be far behind :okay: They've come from Singletrack bikes who have been great with communication and are sending the hubs out on next day delivery as soon as they come in to stock. Can't ask for much more than that :okay:

I was reading through the light bicycle site and they strongly recommended against building their rims with straight gauge spokes, so the Sapim Leaders I've bought aren't going to be any good :sad: Apparently they're too stiff and increase the risk of cracking the rim at the nipple. Instead I've had to spend a bit more on double butted spokes, this time going for Sapim Race. The leaders were made to order so can't be returned, I'll just have to chalk that one up to experience and throw them in the bottomless spares cupboard along with all the other random 'spare' spokes I seem to have accumulated :laugh:

Checking the rim status this morning it seems one of the allroad rims is completely finished and the other 3 rims are all finished and awaiting quality checks - I'm hopeful I'll get a photo of them sent over early in the week before they're shipped out ^_^ I've asked for an updated shipping estimate, normally the method I'd paid for would take 7-12 days but they quoted double that at the time of ordering due to COVID related backlogs. I've pre-paid the tax, so at least it shouldn't take long to get through customs once they're in the country :okay:

I've just ordered some tan wall Schwalbe One TLE's for the aero wheels on the Bianchi :becool: I can then sell the Cosmic's with their nearly new GP5000 TL's still fitted which should aid their sale and means I should have less faffing around cleaning up sealant :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran

I do love a good pre-build layout :laugh:

Light Bicycle have told me the rims will ship out before Friday this week and I'll get a few photos sent over before they're packaged up :okay: Exciting 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Tyres are here :okay: Two of the four rims now show as complete and ready to ship, the other two are still in quality control limbo. I'm hoping they are dispatched tomorrow, fingers crossed I'll get some photos of them to keep me entertained until they finally arrive 😊

I'm expecting the orange rear hub to make an appearance in the near future too, early next week perhaps if the leadtime for the last one is anything to go by :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I received an update this morning from Light Bicycle; my rims haven't shipped yet as they found a small problem with the 55mm section one so it has to be rectified. Hopefully it will be sorted and sent next week, but I'd obviously rather it was right so am happy to wait 😊 They did however send me some photos of the finished rims :okay:

Here is one of the low profile rims for the allroad wheelset:

And here is the 65mm which will be going on the back of the Bianchi:

Having now seen them I'm rather looking forward to getting my hands on them :laugh: I'm quite impressed with the layup, especially on the 12k weave of the 65mm rim, as this is quite difficult to get neat. The join is neat where the two ends of the cloth meet and the weave direction looks well laid out :becool:

The next month or so is going to be a real test of patience :shy::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The rims were dispatched yesterday :becool:

I received an 11-28 dura-ace R9100 cassette this morning which will go on the aero wheelset, and I'll put my existing R9100 11-30 on the all-road wheelset.

I was expecting the rear hub to have arrived by now, but no urgency as the rims are 4 to 5 weeks away as yet :laugh:

Super happy with my AR56 from LB that i received this January. They were great to deal with and the wheels have been excellent. I went for the budget DTSwiss hubs and Sapim CX-Ray bladed with a 3k matt finish oh and no spoke holes:ohmy: for the committed TL rider:laugh: (i'll curse about that the day i break a spoke).

Mine are shod with 28mm Conti GP5000 which went on without any issues, first time inflation with a standard pump (plenty of soapy water though).

This Bianchi build gets better and better:wub:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Super happy with my AR56 from LB that i received this January. They were great to deal with and the wheels have been excellent. I went for the budget DTSwiss hubs and Sapim CX-Ray bladed with a 3k matt finish oh and no spoke holes:ohmy: for the committed TL rider:laugh: (i'll curse about that the day i break a spoke).

Mine are shod with 28mm Conti GP5000 which went on without any issues, first time inflation with a standard pump (plenty of soapy water though).

This Bianchi build gets better and better:wub:

Thats great to hear :becool: Light Bicycle are known as one of the leading carbon rim manufacturers in China but even so it's good to hear first hand experience of their products, thanks! :okay:

I've gone for spoke holes in all four rims, I considered getting them without but decided feeding the nipples around internally sounded like far too much hassle :laugh: Besides, I bought a bulk load of tubeless rim tape last time I ran out so have plenty to get through :laugh:

Do you have photos of your shiny new wheels? :blush:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran

Yup, they look great 👍 How stiff are they? Presumably mine will ride very similarly as they're also 24 hole with CX Ray spokes 😊

The combination of the rim stiffness and then 28mm TL (i run 65psi front & 70psi rear) works well for me, great for when i'm pushing hard and yet comfy as well. I swapped back to my Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL UST to see if i could notice any real difference on some longer climbing routes and to be honest i still preferred the AR56 for the overall ride, it was only above 7% where i could feel any difference and even that was probably in my head:wacko: but then on the flats, downhills etc the deep rims come into their own. I think in a perfect world i'd go 40-45mm front and 60mm rear though, nose blowing is off the agenda when it's breezy;)

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
My cosmics are fine in the wind with their 42mm section. I suspect the R55 front and R65 rear will prove lively in gusty conditions but ill have the AR36 wheelset to pop on for those conditions :becool: Thanks again for the feedback :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've ordered a park tool spoke tension meter which should arrive on Tuesday, decided it might be interesting to measure the tensions on some of my previous builds before the new rims get built up to see if I've been getting them in the right ballpark at least :laugh:

I keep checking the tracking site which shows my rims had made it to Hong Kong on Thursday. It hasn't been updating over the weekend, presumably they're now in a queue to get a space on a flight to europe :smile: Lets hope it doesnt take too long, I'm already getting impatient :laugh: Hopefully there will be minimal hold-ups in customs as I've already pre-paid the duty 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The rims are now "waiting for flight" which i'm told could take anything up to 14 days. They seem to fly them to Czech Republic and hand the parcel over to UPS at that point for its onward journey as ive been given a UPS tracking number too thats not yet active :laugh:

The Hope rear hub arrived this morning, so besides the rims I'm only waiting on one tyre to build both sets of wheels 😊 Here are most of the bits I've got now, minus those that are currently in use on one of the bikes (ie orange Hope rotors and 11-30 cassette)...

And here's the spoke tension meter, hoping to have a play with this later when its cooled down a bit in the garage :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I ordered some purple hope rotors a few days ago so I'll be moving the black hope rotors on to the all-road wheels.

The rims are apparently stuck in customs in the Czech Republic, where they've now been for 13 days :rolleyes: Hopefully whatever is causing the hold up is sorted soon and they can complete their journey - technically they're only a few days travel away now once they're moving again :laugh: Maybe they'll make an appearance next week :okay: One things for sure, the moment they arrive I'll be wheel building :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The purple rotors arrived today :okay: The rims are still a way off :sad: I received an email from Light Bicycle today explaining that the bulk shipment that my parcel is in was selected for a full customs audit, so they're opening every parcel and reviewing all of the documentation, hence the delay :sad: Tomorrow they will have been in Czech Republic for a month but I'm told they'll be on their way again next week. On the up side, Light Bicycle have offered me a discount on future orders and I will likely take them up on it sooner rather than later as I was considering replacing the rims on the Pilot's summer wheels :smile:

With the replacement commuter wheels I'm also now building that will make four pairs planned in :laugh: Hopefully the spokes will arrive for the commuter early next week so I can get them built up and on the road, and update this thread with some actual wheel building :whistle:

Top Bottom