New Wheels for a hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Morning,

I found out last night while giving my bike a quick clean and lube that my rear wheel is buckled, badly at that. It's buckled before and it was trued not all that long ago, so I reckon it's time to replace it. I was eventually going to start upgrading bits and bobs on my bike, but it seems the time has come - but I have no clue on wheels.

Should I go for hand builts or machine builts? I currently have 26 inch wheels (not 700c) with Marathon + tyres (26x1.75). I'm not sure on a budget at the moment but I'm not able to afford top of the range gear. The hubs could probably do with replacing too, as they're cheapo hubs.

Cheers.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Anybody?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
With the limited info you provided it is not easy to answer your question, except that being limited by the choice of commercially available rims, generally custom handbuilt wheels are not as light for the same price as quality factory built wheels, but if built by a good custom wheel builder will likely last longer and they are easier to maintain due to readily replaceable parts.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Ah, Ok, I didn't realise I needed to give more info. What else should I tell? :tongue: I need a new set of wheels eventually, before this one explodes in a shower of spokes and kills me. It's buckled several times now and It's got less than 100 miles on it.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You mentioned you are unable to afford top of the range gear, but since 26" wheels cost between £1000 and £20 a pop, what do you consider unaffordable?

A replacement is dependent on the drive system (i.e. number of sprockets) it has at present. For example if it has 5 or 6 then it is practically certain that the wheel will have a freewheel, 8 and above will be a freehub, and it could be either for a 7. They are different systems and will impact choice available unless you are happy to change drivetrain components to suit.

Finally, did it occur to you that the Ministry of Defence might be interested in buying your rear wheel from you? If not, with under 100 miles on the clock did it come with the bike and can't you get a refund?

Finally finally does the weight the bike carries likely to pose a challenge to any wheel?

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
I can save up, so probably £250ish for a wheelset (maybe more, it honestly depends on how long I can save up for).

It's got 7 gears on the rear cassette (I think that's what you're asking me for - not sure. If not, then I'm sorry! :biggrin:) I'll check what's got on it and post back.

I can't get a refund - it's been ridden less than 100 miles but it's 2 years old now so it's well out of any sort of refund time.

All the bike carries is my 16 and a half stone body, I don't use panniers or go touring or anything like that. I just ride to college and around and about on it.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If it's your diamondback then it has a 7sp screw on freewheel (looks like a tz-21) and v-brakes. I've got a similar setup on my mtb and I just bunged a Decathlon cheap wheel on the back when I bent the axle on the original.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
If it's your diamondback then it has a 7sp screw on freewheel (looks like a tz-21) and v-brakes. I've got a similar setup on my mtb and I just bunged a Decathlon cheap wheel on the back when I bent the axle on the original.

It is indeed my Diamondback. I'm not sure if it is or not - it's a cheap bike with Chinese made wheels which is why I want to upgrade. I wanted to fit rear discs as well, as the front has discs on (which need replacing as they're utter crap), would this be possible?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Looking at the pictures I don't think that you could fit a disk brake on the back as there doesn't seem to be any mounting points on the frame.

As for whether it's a cassette or a freewheel, I think Sheldon covered it pretty well

rowan 46

Über Member
Going through, the same dilemma with my viking hybrid, As you say decent wheels, new cassette, new chain discs shifters etc it's practically a complete rebulid. The advice I have had is to get a new bike with most of the stuff you want on it as it will be cheaper than buying all new stuff for it. It is apparently possible to get good 2nd user spares on the bay but this may involve a fair bit of time to get stuff that is compatible with each other and there will be a few tools you will need to buy or you will need to pay your lbs a fair bit to put it all together.
It seems from all I have been able to gather. The cost effective way to build a bike is to replace piece by piece so you still get the use of it or to buy a new one. Upgrading a cheap frame with good bits isn't the best way of going about, unless you totally love your frame and forks. I like my frame and I guess judging from the bits you have that your is similar its on ok frame but its not great. Do you really want to spend the sort of money upgrading that it cost to buy in the first place? It may be good money after bad unless you intend upgrading the rest of the bike at a later stage.

Top Bottom