New wheels for additional weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GatleyJim

Über Member
Hi,

I could do with some advice on new wheels for my bike.

I bought a second hand Dolan Preffisio last year to use as a winter bike and commuter (with a rack and mudguards). I am really pleased with it but, the first time I used it for a loaded commute, a spoke broke on the rear wheel. The guy at the shop who mended it was really helpful and said that the wheel that came with it is more of a performance wheel and recommended I get something better at taking the load. He suggested a pair of his Halo Evauro, which looked nice to me. I have seen them at Balfes for a decent price (£140 compared to the £220 he estimated) but wanted to get a second opinion on whether they would be strong enough for two loaded panniers.

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/components/wheels/halo-evaura-6d-wheels-black-700c__12817

Does anyone have any thoughts? Other recommendations also welcome. I might be doing a spot of light touring and would ideally use this bike as well. Would I be pushing the wheels too far?

Cheers,

James.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like most of the spokes are missing.
I should get something with a conventional spoke count for touring otherwise you not only might be pushing the wheels too far but the bike as well

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Well they're certainly cheap!

I guess it depends what you mean by 'strong enough'. How heavy are you, how heavy the panniers and are you running the biggest tyres possible?

Quite a few variables, but having said that (and with the caveat that I've no experience of those wheels), in traditional, conservative parlance, straight laced or minimally crossed, 20 / 24 spoked wheels like those were never touted for their reliability for loaded riding.

OP
OP
G

GatleyJim

Über Member
Thanks for the responses. You've probably saved me from a mistake. I am a big lad - 6'7" and 15 stone.

I'm in two minds. No point in trying to make the Dolan into a commuter/light tourer if it's not built for it. Might just keep it as a winter bike and get myself a tourer for commuting/touring.

Will have a think.

OP
OP
G

GatleyJim

Über Member
Haha don't worry. If anything, I now have no choice and can spend hours pouring the internet for tourers in time for my Cyclescheme voucher in April.

Always fancied a custom-frame Mercian...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
compared to the £220 he estimated
I don't spend that in complete bikes

2 loaded panniers and your weight, you just need a rear wheel with 36 spokes. Your Dolan frame is fine. If you touring, then the equation changes on the frame.

Top Bottom