New Wheels for My Son's Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
@BrumJim - as you're looking to purchase now @vickster 's Vel suggestion is a good one. £229 for a decent wheelset plus your son is still U10. Yes, there are parents who spend silly amounts (I remember an U11's parent at British School Cycling Association events who had him on a 5-spoje and rear disc track wheels! But he was last as they were too high-geared to turn) but he's young.

There are a couple of new BMC SRD351 wheelsets on eBay - carbon 35mm - for £550-600 as well if you aim for a higher budget.

Tubeless, though. That's another step I hadn't thought about. Have a set of clincher tyres in the garage ready to fit.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@BrumJim - that's fine and they'll work.

We've given up on tubeless and simply use clincher tyres with latex tubes on tubeless-compatible wheels (most races) or tubular wheels (if climbing races/hill climbs/TT's/track) for racing. The mess tubeless makes doesn't appear to be worth the benefit imho.

What you're not yet at with U10 is the 'spare' bike for cross races, or spare bike & wheels for road racing. He can do closed-road TT's and hill climbs with what he has as well. Track ... now that's a different matter altogether.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

@BrumJim - as you're looking to purchase now @vickster 's Vel suggestion is a good one. £229 for a decent wheelset plus your son is still U10. Yes, there are parents who spend silly amounts (I remember an U11's parent at British School Cycling Association events who had him on a 5-spoje and rear disc track wheels! But he was last as they were too high-geared to turn) but he's young.

There are a couple of new BMC SRD351 wheelsets on eBay - carbon 35mm - for £550-600 as well if you aim for a higher budget.

He's now U12s this season. Really noticing the size of the older riders in comparison, so hopefully he will be looking at podiums next year.

Don't know about BSCA, but British Cycling now ban disc wheels and low spoke counts, but BSCA is now a shadow of its former self. Not convinced there are any more than a couple of people working for them now, but could be wrong.

So @vickster @DCLane you recon that the tubless ones will take clincher tyres?

vickster

Legendary Member
He's now U12s this season. Really noticing the size of the older riders in comparison, so hopefully he will be looking at podiums next year.

Don't know about BSCA, but British Cycling now ban disc wheels and low spoke counts, but BSCA is now a shadow of its former self. Not convinced there are any more than a couple of people working for them now, but could be wrong.

So @vickster @DCLane you recon that the tubless ones will take clincher tyres?

I'd give Sigma a ring/live chat to check, they're a very good performance focused LBS :smile:
https://www.sigmasports.com/contact-us#contact-us

DCLane

@BrumJim - I'd say "yes" but check.

And if he's heading into the U12's start to keep an eye out for a discounted set of carbon 35mm wheels.

BC introduced the spoke/rim depth ban when son no. 1 was going into the U14's as it was getting silly. We'd bought a bike with 28mm rims but others were buying 60+mm carbon low-spoke count wheels, that then couldn't be used. Gearing limits help there as well, although I'm against their recent removal in the Junior category as it punishes those 16yo's who are still growing.

Broadside

Guru
Thanks, @vickster and @DCLane . Vel wheels purchased, but keeping an eye on carbon wheels for the future.

Hi @BrumJim ive been watching this with interest as I need a new disc wheelset for my u14 son. I want to keep under 35mm rim profile for racing, what are the Vel wheels you mentioned.

Like you I want to keep the cost down, I was considering Vision 35 wheels which are pretty cheap at £160 but if there is something better then I would spend a bit more within reason.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Hi @BrumJim ive been watching this with interest as I need a new disc wheelset for my u14 son. I want to keep under 35mm rim profile for racing, what are the Vel wheels you mentioned.

Hi, @Broadside : Haven't heard of them before, but Vickster recommended them, and DC Lane supported her suggestion. I've known Vickster for some time (pre-bikes) and trust her judgement.

In many ways, it is quite tricky. I know that I increased my speed when I replaced my standard new-fit wheels with more expensive ones, but the reality is that my speed increased far more dramatically through my daily 6 mile high-speed commute (Strava is a terrible addiction) and pushing longer distances on occasional weekends. So whilst better wheels will help him go faster, it is difficult to determine how much effect this will have on his finishing positions, particularly since warming up, daily training, and the will to push himself well into the uncomfortable zone will have a much bigger effect.

Broadside

Guru
Hi, @Broadside : Haven't heard of them before, but Vickster recommended them, and DC Lane supported her suggestion. I've known Vickster for some time (pre-bikes) and trust her judgement.

In many ways, it is quite tricky. I know that I increased my speed when I replaced my standard new-fit wheels with more expensive ones, but the reality is that my speed increased far more dramatically through my daily 6 mile high-speed commute (Strava is a terrible addiction) and pushing longer distances on occasional weekends. So whilst better wheels will help him go faster, it is difficult to determine how much effect this will have on his finishing positions, particularly since warming up, daily training, and the will to push himself well into the uncomfortable zone will have a much bigger effect.

Having been on this forum a long time I’ve seen as good number of comedy threads about wheel upgrades… 😀

The reason for new wheels is that the free hub body lock ring thread has stripped. The wheels are used for CX racing in winter and road in summer. I think I would need to be upwards £500 to get a performance improvement as the Kinesis wheels we’ve got at the moment are pretty light.

I could replace the free hub body but finding the right part won’t be easy and will still be £40. I’m up against a time pressure as he is racing at Assen Youth Tour (Netherlands) on 30 July for a week, so I’m looking a bit unprepared and therefore buying my way out of the problem! ^_^

DCLane

@Broadside - I hope he enjoys Assen, but it's a smash-fest. Say "hi" to the Kirklees Cycling Academy riders who are there from me.

From experience I'd avoid Vision wheels - my 30mm set kept going out of true and needed new bearings very quickly.

DCLane

@BrumJim - 100% agree that training plus preparation have a bigger effect, as long as he's enjoying himself. If that stops then results go backwards.

We've been there a couple of times and son no. 2's enjoying himself more this year than he has in a while - he's not winning much but is having fun blowing races apart with attacks and breaks. If he gets his 2nd category back, which he's close to doing, then he sees it as a bonus rather than the main target.

Jameshow

Veteran

Like you I want to keep the cost down, I was considering Vision 35 wheels which are pretty cheap at £160 but if there is something better then I would spend a bit more within reason.

Bit heavy tbh?

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

@BrumJim - 100% agree that training plus preparation have a bigger effect, as long as he's enjoying himself. If that stops then results go backwards.

We've been there a couple of times and son no. 2's enjoying himself more this year than he has in a while - he's not winning much but is having fun blowing races apart with attacks and breaks. If he gets his 2nd category back, which he's close to doing, then he sees it as a bonus rather than the main target.

Thank you for the warning. He is very much enjoying racing at the moment. Good races and bad ones, but he is very much aware that he is the youngest, and therefore can't be expected to be at the front now. Hoping to be very competitive for the cross season, though. Also very much enjoying his post-race treats, such as cake, bacon sandwich, etc.

DCLane

It's always the same with short riders, not being spotted:

Screenshot_20230718-171356.png

This was at Darley Moor earlier this year. Guess which one is my son ...

In a race you'll see him pop his head up as he's too short to see the front if in a pack. On a long hill however the short, light riders have the advantage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom