New Wheels for My Son's Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Looking for some sensible (or not) advice.

It is getting to that time of year when my son's tyre choice is changing from slicks (circuit racing and training) to knobblies (grass track racing and cyclo-cross practice), sometimes more than once a week, and I am getting fed up of changing tyres on rims. So it would make good sense to buy a spare set of wheels, and have slick wheels and knobbly wheels, rather than just tyres. He is riding a bike with 700c wheels and disc brakes. I would share with him, but I run with rim brakes, so not compatible.

He is 10, but riding competitively in WM leagues, and should be at the upper end of his age group next road season and the upcoming cyclo-cross one. He is limited by regulations to rim thickness of not more than 35mm, and no less than 16 spokes (that shouldn't be a problem?). So want to get him something reasonable. The wheels wil last as there is no rim braking surface, but whilst for the moment he isn't yearning after $1000 carbon rims, before long (if he carries on progressing) he will be looking for some serious wheels,.

So what do I get him? @DCLane : are you the person who can give me some common sense?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A couple of questions/ checks first; aluminium or carbon? Clincher or tubs for cyclo-cross? Finally, what's your budget?

Second-hand is often a useful choice. But there's less disc-brake versions available if those.

A pity he's not on10-speed rim brake for cyclo-cross - I'd have donated a pair of tubular wheels we don't need.

Sharky

Guru
Two thoughts to bring to the table.
1) teach him to change tyres himself. My dad was teaching me diy skills at the age of 10. When he starts going out by himself, it will be a valuable self help skill.

2)at 10 years old, he will be needing a larger frame soon? Perhaps a new bigger complete bike for the winter season. He can continue with his current bike with slicks and the new bike set up for cyclo X.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Two thoughts to bring to the table.
1) teach him to change tyres himself. My dad was teaching me diy skills at the age of 10. When he starts going out by himself, it will be a valuable self help skill.

2)at 10 years old, he will be needing a larger frame soon? Perhaps a new bigger complete bike for the winter season. He can continue with his current bike with slicks and the new bike set up for cyclo X.

Thanks. In turn:
1) Comparing him to other kids and their parents, I'm very lucky in that he cleans his own bike, often without being asked. I struggle to get the road tyres on myself, so he's going to find it all but impossible.
2) Probably, but the frame has been his for less than a year, and he was only just big enough for it last December. Going to wait another year or two before he gets another one.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

A couple of questions/ checks first; aluminium or carbon? Clincher or tubs for cyclo-cross? Finally, what's your budget?

Second-hand is often a useful choice. But there's less disc-brake versions available if those.

A pity he's not on 10-speed rim brake for cyclo-cross - I'd have donated a pair of tubular wheels we don't need.

I'm trying to work out a budget. There are lots of parents that have seemingly bottomless pockets, and prepared to spend thousands on their child's hobby to help them get even faster. I don't (can't?) want to be like that, although due to a gift, I have a reasonable amount. Carbon is better(?) clearly, but enough? Currently running clinchers, although tubs seems popular for cross.

Second-hand would be great. But an even bigger nightmare to navigate.

DCLane

OK - I'm currently overseas but will add a 'proper' response when I get back to the UK.

Cero make some nice wheels but the disc version is a bit pricey. Superstar Components no longer make wheels unfortunately, as they would have been your best option on a budget.

Which discipline does your son prefer? That may be where you spend the money on a new wheelset, although you will have the best results on road versions. Tubs work better for cross as you can run lower pressures - we do track instead of cross.

Other wheel options are Prime carbon wheels (try trisportresort on eBay - Wiggle/Chain Reaction Cycles returns store - as they pop up there). Also NR6 wheels, who do bespoke - if you mention "Tim Lane JRC" you might get a discount :okay: as these would be at the top end of your budget, as would Zed Wheels.

It's possible to obtain nice kit on a budget - my son has run Dura-Ace since U16's but we've obtained things piecemeal, via his club/team/contacts, to do this. Ask around; there will be a West Midlands cycle parts / sales FB group out there.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bear in mind, one hub's cassette alignment may be a fraction of a mm out from another, which can mean re-indexing. Sometimes the discs can be slightly different too. Worth having a pack of various spacers (available from Amazon) to fine tune it.

DCLane

Also a disc alignment tool - I'll add a link when home.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Bike came with wheels marked up as "Cyclocross", so although he enjoys that more, the new wheels will be dedicated to road use, which, as you note, is where he will probably get the most benefit.

Kind of looking out for second hand wheels, but probably want some this week before I start screaming at tyres.

DCLane

@BrumJim - as you're looking to purchase now @vickster 's Vel suggestion is a good one. £229 for a decent wheelset plus your son is still U10. Yes, there are parents who spend silly amounts (I remember an U11's parent at British School Cycling Association events who had him on a 5-spoje and rear disc track wheels! But he was last as they were too high-geared to turn) but he's young.

There are a couple of new BMC SRD351 wheelsets on eBay - carbon 35mm - for £550-600 as well if you aim for a higher budget.

Last edited:
Top Bottom