New wheels - lock ring Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkey Boy

So, my new Dura Ace 7850 CL's turn up yesterday....Hurrrahh:becool:

Removed old Aksiums from the nag, remove 10sp Ultegra 6600 cassette with the correct tools and stick it on the new rounds. Shove on the lock ring and tighten to ~40nm torque (by feel as I don't have a torque wrench) and the freehub does not move.....I guess that is one way to get a fixie So, do I loosen everything off and re-tighten the lock ring by hand until there is no play in the cassette (freehub moves if I do this)....or have I made a boo-boo in putting it all together?:biggrin:

Answers on a postcard please.....I wanna get out on my new wheels!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i have new wheels, and the cassette tool that had previously worked ok seems to have turned to cheese. had to take it to lbs, who fixed it on gratis (ta bikes of macc).

Monkey Boy said:
So, my new Dura Ace 7850 CL's turn up yesterday....Hurrrahh:becool:

Removed old Aksiums from the nag, remove 10sp Ultegra 6600 cassette with the correct tools and stick it on the new rounds. Shove on the lock ring and tighten to ~40nm torque (by feel as I don't have a torque wrench) and the freehub does not move.....I guess that is one way to get a fixie So, do I loosen everything off and re-tighten the lock ring by hand until there is no play in the cassette (freehub moves if I do this)....or have I made a boo-boo in putting it all together?:eek:

Answers on a postcard please.....I wanna get out on my new wheels!

Put it on so its just biting then turn 3/4 more and that will be just over which is good. All LBS dont torque that lock ring.

OP
OP
M

Monkey Boy

Mickle wins the virtual free beer voucher.

Dumbo here didn't remove the spacer between cassette and freehub (spoke side) from the old wheel....D'oh. It's now....smooooootthhhh. 10TT tonight to test them out!

yenrod

Monkey Boy said:
Mickle wins the virtual free beer voucher.

Dumbo here didn't remove the spacer between cassette and freehub (spoke side) from the old wheel....D'oh. It's now....smooooootthhhh. 10TT tonight to test them out!

MonkeyBoy wins the D'oh award for 2008 :sad:

yenrod

Monkey Boy said:
I'll give you a special mention in my thank-you speech Yenners:tongue:

Thats nice Monks' :ohmy:

Top Bottom