new wheels needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gords

Hi guys,
Apologies if this isn't in the right place.

I started biking again 2 years ago and went from mountain bike to road bike as most people but could do with some help on what wheels to buy for my road bike.
Everything was going well with my current set but i have had 3 buckles on the rear wheel in the last 4 rides (all repaired by my local shop) - the last one being this week on the Dunwhich Dynamo. I could have sworn I didn't hit anything (although clearly I must have) so am assuming that they are a bit screwed up from my previous adventures.
I currently have Easton EA30s on my cube Peloton and cant justify getting a new bike as I'm not fit enough yet on my current level of bike.
I only spent £1000 (thank you cycle to work scheme) so don't want to spend ridiculous amounts on the set - maybe £200-£300 - any ideas/suggestions (other than stop hitting potholes;) )?
I keep seeing debates on weight v areodynamics but get a bit lost and don't imagine at my budget that it really matters....

U

User6179

fulcrum racing 5s are about best value wheel you can buy imo if you can get them for £150, merlin cycles were selling them for that the other week , don't know if they still are but worth a look .

OP
OP
G

Gords

Cheers guys - going forward should i be looking at lighter or more aerodynamic wheels?
Assumed that as I don't go fast that aerodynamic wheels wouldn't be a great help (i've only started getting my average up - about 16mph on a flat century ride with only 2300 ft elevation)

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I had similar issues with the crap wheels that came on my bike. Replaced them with Mavic Aksium's. They have been superb, great for the cash. It was either them or Fulcrum 5's when I was buying. It was reviews and cartridge bearings that made me go for the Mavic's, I just cannot be bothered maintaining regular wheel bearings. That's just me though and they probably need little attention. I just prefer the option of replacing fresh cartridge bearings when they are knackered on my Mavic's (can get it done at work).

aerobrain

Über Member
Are the Fulcrums likely to be a weight saving over the wheels that came with my Specialized Allez Elite? I can't seem to find any specs other than their name "Axis Classic"

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not sure, but I imagine that EAS30s are probably 20/24 spoke? Aksiums & Fulcrums too ?

Listen very carefully .... I wil say this only once (more) :rolleyes: .... stock wheels on £1000 bikes with 20 spokes at front and 24 spokes at the back are a triumph of style over substance. Aksiums & Fulcrums are slightly better quality, but still lack stiffness, especially if you tend to the "carthorse" end of the spectrum.

For around the £300 mark you can get a really good set of hand-built wheels, with your individual choice of hubs, rims & spokes. Talk to your wheelbuilder about the kind of rider you are and the kind of riding you want to do, and take their advice.

going forward should i be looking at lighter or more aerodynamic wheels?
Neither (IMO) - if speed is important to you, then look for stiffness first. Unless you are spending a LOT, then the simplest way to achieve stiffness is to up the number of spokes. It may not look fashionable, but there is awful lot to be said for 32 and even 36 spokers in terms of stiffness and reliability without sacrificing too much weight

FWIW the last set I built for myself: Hope Pro III hubs, DT Swiss Comp Spokes, Ambrosio Excellence rims. Front is 32 built 2X. Rear is 36, 2X NDS, 3X DS.
round about £300 for the components at the time, pretty much the same weight as the Fulcrum 7s that came on the bike, but much stiffer, and roll like an absolute dream.
The slightly unusual spoking pattern means I only carry a single length of spare spoke (although I've never, ever broken a spoke on one of my own handbuilts, even hammering "road" wheels over stony rough cart tracks)

Top Bottom