New Wheels Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrismith

Hello all. I'm hoping that someone may be able to help with some wheel buying advice please.
I am looking to upgrade my wife. Sorry, I mean my wife's wheels. It's a Giant cyclocross bike ( 2016 Liv Brava SLR | Liv Cycling UK (liv-cycling.com) )
The wheels weight a ton each. The problem is that I *think* I need the following for it to be compatible:
-Disc brake - preferably 6 bolt as I have the discs already
-Quick release as I believe the thru axle ones won't fit?
-Ideally slightly wider to rim to accommodate 35mm tyres

Budget is £200 but I can't seem to find any wheel at all that would fit. I feel like I must be missing anything as I don't think I'm asking or anything too obscure?

Any help or recommendations much appreciated - thank you

I would recommend DT Swiss, have got them on my gravel bike and they have taken some serious abuse and I am over 16st! Merlin have them but centrelock rotors?

OP
OP
H

Harrismith

Thanks but I keep coming across the same problems...they look thru axle not QR, and a pair is 280+new rotors

Thanks but I keep coming across the same problems...they look thru axle not QR, and a pair is 280+new rotors
Ah, ok. At that budget will they be much lighter than you currently have? I just got some new Eastons and they allow thru axle and QR, but not sure how common this is?

vickster

Legendary Member
Superstar components, you can spec QR. Not sure how much they are currently, but they often have voucher code discounts.
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/road/road-wheels/road-disc-wheels/
looking they start around £240

Unfortunately everything bike related costs more than a year ago. £200 might not actually get you anything lighter or better unless you can find something lightly used. How heavy are they? Try some better lighter tyres?
Perhaps save a bit more and get new wheels for the summer?
Spa should be able to build you something reasonable for under £400 or maybe @Beespoke can help?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s178p0/Wheels/Handbuilt-Wheelsets-(700c)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Harrismith

Ok great thanks both
Maybe that I need to spend more. Any upgrade would be much better than the stock ones as I was quick shocked how heavy they were. Front wheel, tube, 32mm tyre and rotor was 2.1kg

Azzurrinick

Don't dismiss the thru bolt wheels, you should be able to get adaptors to change to QR. I had to do the opposite, QR to thru bolts for my Fulcrum 7 wheels.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok great thanks both
Maybe that I need to spend more. Any upgrade would be much better than the stock ones as I was quick shocked how heavy they were. Front wheel, tube, 32mm tyre and rotor was 2.1kg
Well you’ll have the bits on any wheel. What was the weight naked. The rear wheel is of course heavier still

OP
OP
H

Harrismith

I haven't weighed it without the bits. Equivalent bits on a front Mavic Aksium was 1.6kg so half a kilo on a single wheel was pretty surprising

Gunk

Guru
Ok great thanks both

That is heavy, my Campag Eurus with a GP4000 tyre and Chorus 9 speed cassette weighs in at just over a kilo

Gunk

Guru
I also run Easton EA90’s on my Van Nicholas but I doubt you’ll pick up a good used pair for £200. You may need to increase your budget.

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven't weighed it without the bits. Equivalent bits on a front Mavic Aksium was 1.6kg so half a kilo on a single wheel was pretty surprising
Put Aksiums on it? Very close to budget

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s205p3405/MAVIC-Aksium-Disc

• Front axle: 12x100 thru axle easily convertible to quick release with included adapters. Not compatible with 15mm through axles.

• Rear axle: 12mm thru axle convertible to Quick Release with included adapters

Last edited:
Top Bottom