"New" wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
I'm really not sure what the opposition is to them inboard. Anything such as this that allows one to vary hand placement during a longer ride is helpful.

Agreed with you there. It's not wrong, just a different way of doing things. If you find it more comfortable than having them outboard, why change it? It's your bike.

Some people just don't like things being a different way than they're used to.

Nice bike by the way!

to quote 'Donald Duck Dunn' in the blues brothers

'if the shoot fits - wear it'

i have a cleat on my spds that looks completely wrong to most, but it works because my foot is not quite set straight after breaking my ankle as a kid. if i set it in the correct position, i get knee problems so it works for me.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It is a nice looking bike.
However. Those bar ends...
I was looking for a picture - the designer of Thorn bikes has used a similar bar 'end' set-up (which makes it automatically suspect in my book) but I actually found this abomination :-
18606_1.jpg

Yes. Bolt-on drops for straight bars. That's just heresy.

BDK

Regular
Sorry for opening this can of worms.Its your bike so its up to you how you set it up.Thats alot of seatpost exposed,or is it the angle of the photo?

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

It's true bdk. I've been looking around for a 400mm one as I'm an inch over minimum insert at the moment. If I lower it to minimum it's too low. In fact, if anyone's got a 400mm x 27.2 they would be willing to swap for a 350....?

Stu

BDK

Regular
How old is the bike,is it maybe too small?I have bar ends on my mtb which I use when climbing.Have you considered a drop bar roadbike?I was hesitant to get one a few years back until I got a loan of a full carbon Paganini with Dura ace.I had a Boardman hybrid on order which I changed for a Team Carbon which was great.I recently sold that and bought a Look 595 frame,which I built up with new parts.The mtb doesnt get much of a look in now and Ive covered about 10,000km on the roadbike.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

I have ogled more road bikes than you can shake a stick at! The last one I sat on was a Spesh Roubaix, which felt like I was an animal on four legs compared to my hybrid! I could imagine myself on one of them, at some distant and wealthy point in the future!

It is a diminutive bike for its "L" size but I don't think it's too small, although I have lowered the seatpost today and until a 400mm comes along, will just have to deal with being a bit less efficient.

I had a road bike last year but found it too long and I have got "issues" with my thumbs and collarbone which riding on the hoods didn't seem to help. I find I much prefer the flat bar position and I like to sit up and enjoy the view - a bit of pace is welcome but I'm not a junkie for it! I also like the fact I can put a pair of knobblies on it should I so choose.

I've done about 2500k on the bike since getting it in March, which since I don't commute and have parental duties every other weekend, feels like a good effort to me!

Stu

BDK

Regular
Best of luck with it and that is good mileage!I know what you mean about being more upright.Anytime Im suited up and on the roadbike I feel I have to push the pace to warrant my MAMIL appearance.BDK.

Top Bottom