New wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Might be a silly question to some . But I've a new set of carbon rims orderd . And was thinking of just swapping out the cassette and roters from the old wheels . But would I be better replacing with new . The old wheels have only done two summers with about 6000miles total. What would you do?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yep, swap bits over and carry on :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'd suggest in the longer-term having a cassette and rotors on both sets, so you've always got a spare.
Why?

If one of the wheels suffers damage/becomes unusable for some reason then just swap the rotors/cassette back. Why go to the expense of buying and fitting these items just to be sat idle 'just in case'?

On a side note. If the chain and cassette have covered 6000 miles then it might be time for replacements anyway?

Sharky

Guru
I find it useful to have a spare set of wheels (or another complete bike) ready to go. More than once, I've been about to set off for an early morning ride/commute, only to find that a tyre had gone flat.

It's also a good way to build up the N+1 by stealth. Just need to add a frameset and a couple of other bits and bingo, you've got another bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Everyone I know keeps their spare wheels fully ready to go. Makes it easy to swap out if needed - like wandering in to the garage and discovering you have a flat and you're already late for the meet!!

I have spare bikes ready to go. On a CTC ride I got a flat just as we passed close to my house. So I ran to my house, grabbed the Brompton, and caught the group up. Didn’t half confuse a few who’d seen me start the ride on a different bike.

Sharky

Guru
Don't you guys ever check their bikes the night before?
Don't need to. I've always got a spare bike ready to go if needed. 😊

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have spare bikes ready to go. On a CTC ride I got a flat just as we passed close to my house. So I ran to my house, grabbed the Brompton, and caught the group up. Didn’t half confuse a few who’d seen me start the ride on a different bike.

Yes, I usually have at least one if not two ready to go. I do have friends who don't or would rather swap a wheel. I have both very good winter and summer bikes and an 11 year old Dolan. If the summer bike was suddenly unavailable I'd take the winter bike. If the winter bike was down I'd use the Dolan.

If I only had winter and summer I'd swap the wheel before I took my summer bike out in winter.

Top Bottom