New Wheelset ~ £450

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
As said earlier Krysium Elites have had them for a while, but i just bought my other half some Fulcrum 3s, and i am really impressed with them, there cheaper than the Krysium Elites and they feel good.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
at that price range, and at your weight, you have chosen probably the best factory set of wheels. However, you need to decide whether you want factory wheels or some good quality handbuilts. Most people who opt for handbuilts at this price do so because they are fat, or they prefer the reliability and rebuildability of handbuilts. Remember, factory wheels are a nightmare to find replacements spokes should one break, they go almost unrideable if you break just one spoke, they are near impossible to get perfectly true, and if the rim or hub fails the entire wheel is in the bin! All these things do not apply to handbuilts.
Excellent post ty! Food for thought indeed.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
at that price range, and at your weight, you have chosen probably the best factory set of wheels. However, you need to decide whether you want factory wheels or some good quality handbuilts. Most people who opt for handbuilts at this price do so because they are fat, or they prefer the reliability and rebuildability of handbuilts. Remember, factory wheels are a nightmare to find replacements spokes should one break, they go almost unrideable if you break just one spoke, they are near impossible to get perfectly true, and if the rim or hub fails the entire wheel is in the bin! All these things do not apply to handbuilts.
I dont think people choose handbuilts cause they are fat.

Think that comment is very derrogatory e-rider and should be removed from the post.

e-rider

crappy member
I dont think people choose handbuilts cause they are fat.

Think that comment is very derrogatory e-rider and should be removed from the post.
it is certainly one common reason for sure. Nearly all the overweight guys at my club ride handbuilt wheels for this very reason - most factory wheels have rider limits of between 90-110kg - if you weigh 125kg what are you going to do? Answer: buy a quality set of 36h handbuilt wheels.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Mine came in under budget. :eek:

Well I decided to upgrade the rims, then I went for black spokes, then I went for better spokes and a mixture of 2 types on the back wheel.

But I am glad I did and the wheels are exactly what I wanted.

mattobrien

Guru
I have some hand built wheels and tip the scales at just under 80kgs. Weight wasn't a consideration when buying wheels and looking at factory vs. hand built. I have had both, and one set of hand built's that I have got are the same spec as the factory option.

I also have some Mavic Ksyrium Elites that are now surplus to requirements, having switched to disc brakes on the winter bike, so they are now wrapped up in the garage waiting for me to pull my finger out and try to find them a good new home.

Top Bottom