New Wheelset ~ £450

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
I've been watching these threads in the last few months as my fair weather bike - Boardman Road Team needs new boots.
The stock Mavic Aksiums have been moved to my #2 bike, so need to replace them and may as well upgrade in the process.
I'm leaning towards these at moment:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...nitedKingdom&gclid=CPab4vmL9LwCFcfKtAod_GIAbg

Not sure what matters but I'm 148lbs, fit as a butchers....although don't race or intend to. This will be purely for +50m leisure rides taking in a fair number of hills, and typically a good strong pace.

I am satisfied these seem a good choice but is there anything better in that price range?

Last edited:
nope

zizou

Veteran
Id probably go with handbuilts - if you are near a good wheel builder then go and have a chat with them and they will be able to build you something really good for that price.

If you are not near a good wheel builder then try wheelsmith. Their race 23 model is lighter, cheaper and (probably) stronger too. Will be easier to service and repair too

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I have some Ksyrium elites from 2011/2012. They are pretty light and strong and are still true after a few thousand miles with my 100 kg on them.

However... they do have a harsh ride. For your weight you could really use some Shimano c24s. You might be able to find some second and for your budget (I regret selling mine!) or save for new. They are worth it.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-dura-ace-9000-c24-wheels-pair-59288.html

Although these seem similar and are in budget...

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rs81-c24-carbon-laminate-wheels-pair-62700.html

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
I have some Ksyrium elites from 2011/2012. They are pretty light and strong and are still true after a few thousand miles with my 100 kg on them.

However... they do have a harsh ride. For your weight you could really use some Shimano c24s. You might be able to find some second and for your budget (I regret selling mine!) or save for new. They are worth it.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-dura-ace-9000-c24-wheels-pair-59288.html

Although these seem similar and are in budget...

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-rs81-c24-carbon-laminate-wheels-pair-62700.html

Those RS81 were £300 on planetx about a month ago and thought long and hard then they put the price up while I was dithering. Are you suggesting they are a better choice because of my weight and therefore will provide a smoother ride?

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Id probably go with handbuilts - if you are near a good wheel builder then go and have a chat with them and they will be able to build you something really good for that price.

If you are not near a good wheel builder then try wheelsmith. Their race 23 model is lighter, cheaper and (probably) stronger too. Will be easier to service and repair too

I have spa cycles about 5 miles away so thanks for the tip!

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Are you suggesting they are a better choice because of my weight and therefore will provide a smoother ride?

From my experience, having ridden the Ksyrium elites back to back with the Dura ace C24 I found the ride was smoother and had less road buzz with the C24s. Even with my weight on them I never had a problem and they stayed true (I sold them to a member on here, he is using them when he is going up an Alp). With hindsight, I should have kept using them, but I was worried about the low spoke count and my weight. With your weight you wouldn't need to worry so much about the lower spoke count, so you could have the better riding wheel if you wanted.

If you come down to Birmingham give me a shout and you can try mine if you like.

rb58

Enigma
Another vote for Ksyrium Elites. They are my summer wheels on the best bike. This'll be their fourth 'season'. New rim on the rear one this year after I spotted a crack at the spoke, otherwise completely trouble free.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
From my experience, having ridden the Ksyrium elites back to back with the Dura ace C24 I found the ride was smoother and had less road buzz with the C24s. Even with my weight on them I never had a problem and they stayed true (I sold them to a member on here, he is using them when he is going up an Alp). With hindsight, I should have kept using them, but I was worried about the low spoke count and my weight. With your weight you wouldn't need to worry so much about the lower spoke count, so you could have the better riding wheel if you wanted.

If you come down to Birmingham give me a shout and you can try mine if you like.
how are you zipps bearing up under your weight paul?

e-rider

crappy member
I've been watching these threads in the last few months as my fair weather bike - Boardman Road Team needs new boots.
The stock Mavic Aksiums have been moved to my #2 bike, so need to replace them and may as well upgrade in the process.
I'm leaning towards these at moment:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...nitedKingdom&gclid=CPab4vmL9LwCFcfKtAod_GIAbg

Not sure what matters but I'm 148lbs, fit as a butchers....although don't race or intend to. This will be purely for +50m leisure rides taking in a fair number of hills, and typically a good strong pace.

I am satisfied these seem a good choice but is there anything better in that price range?
at that price range, and at your weight, you have chosen probably the best factory set of wheels. However, you need to decide whether you want factory wheels or some good quality handbuilts. Most people who opt for handbuilts at this price do so because they are fat, or they prefer the reliability and rebuildability of handbuilts. Remember, factory wheels are a nightmare to find replacements spokes should one break, they go almost unrideable if you break just one spoke, they are near impossible to get perfectly true, and if the rim or hub fails the entire wheel is in the bin! All these things do not apply to handbuilts.

Top Bottom