new york fahgettaboudit - easy to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been thinking of getting one as I know it is highly rated.

Yes I know it's heavy.

I realise that the small size is designed-in to frustrate bottle jackers but does this cause problems?

Will it go round your average lamppost or will I be restricted to sheffield stands?

I'm also assuming that, unlike my current lock, it won't go through the complete rear triangle, wheel and a fixed object.

It will be used on a tourer type bike, sometimes with 28mm tyres, sometimes with 37/38mm if that is relevant.

So, you folks who have one how do you find it?

Tin Pot

Guru
What is it?

Tin Pot

Guru
Hadn't heard of it, I have the larger Kryptonite and struggle to get it around some railings and the wheel so a smaller one would appeal.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have the mini. If the fit is tight you can get it through spokes and one chainstay.

It's a great lock for high crime areas. My colleague has the larger one and it's as beefy but longer.

You are a little limited with the mini with what to lock it to.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have the mini. If the fit is tight you can get it through spokes and one chainstay.

It's a great lock for high crime areas. My colleague has the larger one and it's as beefy but longer.

You are a little limited with the mini with what to lock it to.

By larger one, do you mean the New York? Doesn't that haveca 16mm rather than 18mm shaft?

Thanks for your replies.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
By larger one, do you mean the New York? Doesn't that haveca 16mm rather than 18mm shaft?

Thanks for your replies.

Must be the one. Looks as good, same t bar, but the shackle might be smaller. Look 2mm difference looks the same from 4 foot away. :eek:

If you want similar security but might have awkward locking points, do for the bigger one. Even if it's too big, you can fill the space with a crank arm.

vickster

Legendary Member
@jefmcg has one of these. I think the brand name comes from the fact you need to be a Krypton Factor champion to use effectively (showing my age there)

I like mine, but I carry a cable with it as well to secure the wheels, and my brooks. It's heavy and awkward to carry, and it doesn't come with any sort of frame mount. It won't go round anything as fat a lamp post, though you could secure rear wheel but putting it through rear triangle and a couple of spokes. There's not way of securing the front wheel and the frame at the same time, it's not big enough.

Mine briefly seized up, and I couldn't open it. Luckily this was not while the bike was locked, and managed eventually to pull it apart, and then soak it in GT85, and the problem has not re-occurred; it must have got wet at some. It had got stiff before it seized up, so I am not worried about it happening again, as I know how to fix it if it happens.

IMG_20150604_203941887-1.jpg

Top Bottom