New Zealand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
hi there, just wondering if anyone has road toured NZ? I have done a brief google and all I can find is how dangerous the roads are for cyclists, and how it is better to stay on the dirt trails. Anyone gone top to bottom?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This is a good read, from our very own @PippaG

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This is a good read, from our very own @PippaG
"The Kiwis are amazingly friendly people [...] NZ is very much not a paradise for road cyclists because of the attitudes of the drivers. We will never again take road bikes to NZ. Instead we’d take mountain bike and explore some of the routes that are being developed" - yep, I'd agree with that based on my rural cycling daytrips some years ago (when I still cycled in a way that's legal there IYKWIM) and experiences driving and walking. IMO the main good thing about NZ drivers (no matter how you're travelling) is that they're very thinly spread out in many places but it's such a shame for such a stunning country :sad:

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
thanks for the info. defo seems that riding on the roads is not a good idea and that the trails are the best way to go due to light traffic and being right in there with nature. I would rather roadbike it though, so maybe NZ cycling isn't for me. Will go and enjoy the wedding and maybe explore by car :sad: Will have to look for another adventure.

slow scot

Veteran
hi there, just wondering if anyone has road toured NZ? I have done a brief google and all I can find is how dangerous the roads are for cyclists, and how it is better to stay on the dirt trails. Anyone gone top to bottom?
Hi Simon,
I did 12 weeks on a road bike just eight years ago. I stayed entirely on the South Island where the population is much less than the North Island, and on the whole the roads were quiet and drivers more than courteous. You don't have the same choice of small roads like in the UK or mainland Europe, but even on the main roads you don't see much traffic. I cycled from Picton in the north to Invercargill in the south via many wonderful places, and there were many cyclists around on touring bikes. There is a very popular book written by a local; it's called Pedlar's Paradise. I bought a copy and used it to help plot routes via numerous places that I wanted to see. An absolute must in the South Island is the Rail Trail, an old railway line across the centre of the island from Clyde to Middlemarch. It's all unpaved but good quality track and 160 ks of pure pleasure; plenty accommodation on route as well. Without a doubt the trip round the South Island was one of my best ever on a bike, and I've toured for many a year. The several people I cycled with who had also been on the North Island did say that they preferred the South Island as it was much quieter.
I

jay clock

Massive member
Yes, done a lap of much of the North. Had a fab time. Suspect the South is quieter

1. In the UK a road from say London to Dover is a main road but they will 200+ additional root options. In NZ there will be one main road, no shoulder or a couple of dirt roads. Look at the East Cape for example. About the size of East Anglia with literally a coast road. I actually took buses in places.
2 North Island stunningly hilly. Long steep climbs of several km. And hot and sweaty!
3 Use Warmshowers.
4 If solo, backpackers hostels are only a tiny bit more than camping. And for all ages. If camping, campsites mostly have communal kitchens (apart from the primitive DoC ones).
5 Can rain a lot
6 Clean bike intimately before arriving
7 People very encouraging of cyclists and outdoor activities
8 In small towns even grocery shops (called dairies (!)) are closed most of the weekend. A bit like UK in the 50s
See my report here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1p6&doc_id=3226&v=HW

ENJOY

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've done some cycling in NZ. Main roads can be a bit iffy, but even they're pretty empty as a rule.
The population is about 4 600 000, and about 1 400 000 are in Auckland, which doesn't leave all that many for the rest of the country.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Cycle touring in NZ is fantastic if you choose your route carefully.
A lot of the North Island is a bit too busy nowadays but there are still great routes through lovely country, such as the East Cape and the Wairarapa, logging trucks can be a bit of a nuisance in places.
The South Island is far better and most roads apart from State Highway 1 are relatively quiet except at weekends and in peak holiday season, Xmas/January.
Most main roads have a decent width of sealed shoulder, but it sometimes disappears at bridges etc.
I've cycle toured extensively throughout NZ, and lived there for a few years back around 2000, last time there was 9 years ago so probably some changes but not dramatic.
There's also now the NZ Cycle Trail project which links up off road routes the length of the country https://www.nzcycletrail.com/

rualexander

Legendary Member
The road from Napier to Taupo is a shocker. Uphill, narrow, trucks, no shoulder
Yes and is one that I would avoid as being on a busy route.
Better to go on the 'gentle annie' road between Napier and Taihape, lovely road that was mostly gravel when I did it, not sure if it still is though.

jay clock

Massive member
I just had another look at five random places on Streetview and this is fairly typical https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uo23g791xlo3tw/Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 22.10.28.png?dl=0 - shoulder of about 30cm at best. Outside Taupo I found a bit with perhaps 60cm. If you were going to Napier at least it would be downhill more! Always easier when going fast.

And whilst the local drivers are generally fine, the logging trucks aren't

Wouldn't stop me going again though. But would do South Island

jay clock

Massive member
Is New Zealand really that dangerous to cycle in that you need to worry about how wide the shoulder is?
Yes in places..... the difference being that in the UK you pretty much always have another option, in NZ you don't

As I say though the pluses significantly outweigh the minuses

Top Bottom