1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbe wants advice on tyres

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by fred_dillon, 24 Jun 2008.

1. fred_dillon

fred_dillon New Member

Hi, I have just bought a Claud Butler Criterium, about 10-12 years old (according to owner) very good nick, except the tyres are worn.
    fitted are Hutchinson HP20 Profil U (700 x 20c), the rims are marked Mavic 1ere Monte/oem 192 NE.

I read everywhere that 20c tyres are for the super light and fast, neither of which apply to me.

I have ridden bike for over 1 hour, and commuted 45minutes on it a couple of times, and it seems ok.

Questions, am I ok to stay with 20c tyres, and if not will 23c tyres fit my rims.
    thanks in advance

2. RedBike

RedBike New Member

I've don't know anything about the rims in question. 1st mountain?

There is a chance, given the age of the bike, that they're glued on tubular tyres not your 'normal' clinchers. But either way, 23s should be fine.

3. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

If the tyres are 20c, they'll be clinchers.

To the op - the key to whether you can fit a wider tyre is the width of the rim. Sheldon Brown's site has a good chart here. I'd be surprised if 23s didn't fit, but you can check there to be sure.

4. fred_dillon

fred_dillon New Member

clinchers

what does clinchers mean?

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Read about halfway down this page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelset

Tubulars basically have the tube 'sewn' into them so the valve/tube are part of the tyre. Clinchers take seperate inner tubes.

6. Nick1979

Nick1979 New Member

No "1ere monte" means "OEM" in French (literally you can translate to something like "original mount").