Newbee to Mountain biking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

bonj said:
WITH rest of bike, that is... :blush:

Ha ha ha, yes :0) Obviously.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

bonj - no. I have set my budget. I have never done this type of riding before, so refuse to overspend on something that I may not follow up. As I stated, this will only be used during the winter months, when my expensive road bikes will be off the road. IF I try this and like it I MAY then spend more on a better spec bike at that time, but not now.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

Andy- up to £350-£400. I appreciate, as others have said, that I am looking at budget models with not so good spec, but I have no intention of going any higher. I am looking second-hand too as I may get a better spec machine when used.

FWIW I've got a 2001 Scott Voltage YZ1 that's stood up to 25 to 40 miles a week, 52 weeks a year, usually Sunday mornings on the local tracks & TPT routes.
Good solid bike. Forks are worthless Taiwanese cheapies, but that's ok for what I do.
LBS only too happy to pop me higher spec drivetrain parts when other stuff wears out. Can't be many £350 bikes with Deore LX running about!

Funnily enough I've been dabbling at being a roadie again on the 1982 Carlton Kermesse I've been given.

KitsuneAndy

Yanto said:
Andy- up to £350-£400. I appreciate, as others have said, that I am looking at budget models with not so good spec, but I have no intention of going any higher. I am looking second-hand too as I may get a better spec machine when used.

No thats fine, I was just wondering what budget you were looking at to see if I had any suggestions in that price range. I don't quite agree with Bonj, I think some of the lower spec bikes are fine and are a great way into MTB. However you'll probably find that upgrading a sub £500 bike isn't worth it and you end up better off buying a whole new bike if you do decide to take it more seriously and get a better bike. Which is exactly what I've just done with my Trek 4300.

For around that price, I'd check out the GT Avalanche range. I appreciated the 1.0 will be out of your price range but it's cheaper brethren are still good bikes (the 1.0 was best rated sub £500 hardtail in MBUK).

As for second hand it might be worth looking at any local shops that have ex demo or ex rental. When I was at Afan a month or so ago they had some ex rental Kona Caldera's for £375. And riding both The Wall and Penhydd trails was great fun on those.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

Andy - many thanks for that. Just had a quick look in What Mountain Bike and for around my budget it seems that Saracen Element, Gary Fisher Tarpon and Merida are very good value, although as some have said I will be looking at 'shite forks'. Although being a complete novice, will I be able to tell the difference between good and 'shite forks'? Going up to £500 the Focus Fatboy, Scott Aspect and Cube Attention get good reviews.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

Just been up to Llandegla and been told that their rental bikes are to be sold off on November 1st. They are all Kona Hoss 2008 models. Apparently originally retailed at £800 and now at 12 months old will be sold for £400 each and will be fully serviced prior to sale. Any good? Here's the spec

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/13282/Kona_Hoss_Bike_2008

Mr Pig

Kona bikes are always praised as nice riding machines. I almost bought a Hoss myself but chickened out because it was mail order. If you can try one out that sounds good. No way they cost them £800 though. My bet it that they bought them for around £500. Go and try one and if you like it look for a deal on a new one. Here's one for £500 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b7s2p535

They are tough, heavy bikes designed for the more ample rider. When I looked for revues on them I couldn't find a single bad one! Everyone who has a Hoss seems to love it. Good spec too, I think it would be a good buy.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

Thanks Mr Pig. They are still selling for about £650 in places. Sounds like a decent machine then. Not selling then until 1st November though so have to wait, but will definitely hire one at the weekend to try.

Mr Pig

Yanto said:
Sounds like a decent machine then.

I think so. They use beefed up parts in critical areas, as they are designed for heavier riders, and the upshot is one tough bike. Probably why they chose them as hire bikes.

I'd take care though as hire bikes have a very hard life. How many bikes get hammered all day every day! If you like the Hoss I'd look for a used one by all means but I don't know about an ex hire one.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

I see what you mean. They fully service them and correct any faults before sale and offer 12 months warranty so there is some peace of mind I guess

bonj2

Yanto said:
bonj - no. I have set my budget. I have never done this type of riding before, so refuse to overspend on something that I may not follow up. As I stated, this will only be used during the winter months, when my expensive road bikes will be off the road. IF I try this and like it I MAY then spend more on a better spec bike at that time, but not now.

KitsuneAndy said:
No thats fine, I was just wondering what budget you were looking at to see if I had any suggestions in that price range. I don't quite agree with Bonj, I think some of the lower spec bikes are fine and are a great way into MTB. However you'll probably find that upgrading a sub £500 bike isn't worth it and you end up better off buying a whole new bike if you do decide to take it more seriously and get a better bike. Which is exactly what I've just done with my Trek 4300.

For around that price, I'd check out the GT Avalanche range. I appreciated the 1.0 will be out of your price range but it's cheaper brethren are still good bikes (the 1.0 was best rated sub £500 hardtail in MBUK).

As for second hand it might be worth looking at any local shops that have ex demo or ex rental. When I was at Afan a month or so ago they had some ex rental Kona Caldera's for £375. And riding both The Wall and Penhydd trails was great fun on those.

they're fine *to get into it*, but IF you get bitten by the bug, then they can only ever be a stop gap, as with mtbing you WILL want to do more adventurous trails, and do them faster, which means you'll soon by bottoming out the suntours.

Top Bottom