Newbee to Mountain biking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KitsuneAndy

bonj said:
they're fine *to get into it*, but IF you get bitten by the bug, then they can only ever be a stop gap, as with mtbing you WILL want to do more adventurous trails, and do them faster, which means you'll soon by bottoming out the suntours.

Yeah exactly, but as the OP said they were just planning on 'having a go' I wouldn't expect him to fork out a shedload of cash on a well specced bike to begin with.

And yes, I fell victim to the bug and picked up my new toy this morning :thumbsdown:

The Hoss does look nice :sad: If it comes with 12 month warranty then it being an ex-rental doesn't seem so bad.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

bonj and Andy- many thanks for your replies. I can totally accept what you say re 'getting the bug'. I started off with a cheap 'roadie' and now have 3 that cost me a packet! Probably be the same with mtb. Going on Sunday to try one of the rental Hoss' and see how badly I hurt myself!

KitsuneAndy

Yanto said:
bonj and Andy- many thanks for your replies. I can totally accept what you say re 'getting the bug'. I started off with a cheap 'roadie' and now have 3 that cost me a packet! Probably be the same with mtb. Going on Sunday to try one of the rental Hoss' and see how badly I hurt myself!

Have fun :smile:

bonj2

I was going to suggest that but it seems you've already got that idea - a lot of trail centres do hire bikes out, and they're not bad either. Cost £40 or so, but you'll have it for a good few hours and it'll tell you whether your'e likely to want to get into it or not.

Mr Pig

The Hub said that if I went down I could try a few bikes out for a £10 fee and if I bought a bike I'd get the £10 back. It sounds to me like an ideal way to buy a new bike.

bonj2

Mr Pig said:
The Hub said that if I went down I could try a few bikes out for a £10 fee and if I bought a bike I'd get the £10 back. It sounds to me like an ideal way to buy a new bike.

well, £10 isn't much compared to the costof a (good) bike.
So just consider it like they're offering you a £10 off the price of the bike.
In other words you may be ableto get the same bike for MORE than a tenner less, elsewhere.

Mr Pig

bonj said:
In other words you may be able to get the same bike for MORE than a tenner less, elsewhere.

Indeed, in fact I did. My point was that being able to try a selection of bikes at a trail centre is an ideal way to buy a bike. Even if it did cost you few pounds more to buy a bike that way it could be well worth it in the long run.

What do Specialized Rockhoppers retail for these days? I would recommend one of these for starters.

Trek and Giant also do very good entry level models which are better speced than that Felt or Focus. I wouldn't go near either of those.

Not sure about the advice you received for a Hardrock. Plenty of people start off with them and they are very serviceable.

Kona Hoss would be heavy

One thing you could do is have a test ride on all of the bikes at your price point and then look for a second hand on singletrack classifieds. You might even save money there.

OP
OP
Y

Yanto

Kirstie - tried a Hoss yesterday and youre right it did feel heavy- but very solid and sure. I know that at my budget I am looking at rather basic models. What would you say is wrong with the Felt? Really don't want a Giant. Would like to stick with Bianchi but they are out of my range, even for a basic model. Which Trek would you suggest? Thanks

Its a 7 gear system. This won't give you anything like the versatility and power you need if you want to start riding places like llandegla. The forks will be sluggish, unresponsive, and will not inspire confidence. It will just make you very frustrated!

Here's the relevant trek model. It's OK except for the forks, which I would swap for some marzocchi MX comps
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id44324.html

Kona:
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id40775.html

Marin:
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id41272.html

This is a great deal. It even has the marzocchi forks.
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id35975.html

Top Bottom