Newbie..........1st time on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hanger alignment could cause that too.
Indeed👍 I would rule it out on my bikes but a 2nd hand one 🤔

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Many of the teeth have been squared off :ohmy:

This does not sound like wear - chairing teeth wear into sharp points if anything.

As others have said, a photo might help here.

And +1 for renewing cassette and mech hanger ( beware of hanger spec- there are literally dozens of near but not quite identical designs).

Most likely no more is needed and your worst case scenario is probably new chainrings, cassette, rear hanger and possibly but unlikely rear mech.

This is not a big job, and not expensive compared to a new bike, though cost varies hugely according to the exact groupset you have.

Reactions: C R
Well what an experience the lbs was, not at all very helpful.......I rang in advance to enquire about a chain, got to the shop no pleasantries, he just handed me the item. I tried to engage in conversation but he tried to bamboozle me. Don’t think I’ll be going there again :ohmy: Surely it can’t be too difficult to change a cassette or freewheel, as he tried to confuse me :wacko:

Don't be put off by your experience. It sounds like your lbs should start a club with mine. The guy is hugely knowledgeable but what he has in knowledge he lacks in customer service. Sometimes I get the hump with it and go elsewhere, other times I'll grit my teeth and stick with it because it's practical to do so.

I've been attempting to tinker with some bikes for a while now, and if you have the right tools and some time to trawl youtube (Park Tools howto videos are quite good) you'd probably be able to do some of it yourself. But things like bottom brackets etc. require tools, knowledge and knowhow.

If you know how it's easy, if you don't I think it's best to get someone to show you how or know your limits. I fall into the last category as I don't have anyone local to show me.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom