Newbie advice on wheel removal please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

I've just bought my 1st new bike and it has disc brakes back and front. I've had a quick look at removing the front wheel and it wont come off. I'm a bit worried about yanking it off as I may break something but I'm assuming thats what it probably needs. Can someone confirm the removal method for me please. Would the same be for the rear?

simon.r

Person
Assuming it's a quick release hub: flip the lever, undo the QR by a few turns (not necessary on the rear) and pull the wheel out, gently but firmly.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If it's quick release, then undoing the front lever usually won't release the wheel on its own. You also need to rotate the lever anti clockwise (while holding the opposing nut) to slacken it off more.

The rear wheel generally comes out simply by releasing the lever, it's partly because that bit of the bike is laterally stiffer than the fork and there's less play for the skewer and clamp to take up, plus the fork has a safety lip.

Edit: way too slow!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's probably the 'Lawyers lips' but there could be a washer with a little tang that locates into a small hole in the fork, Important both methods retain the wheel in the fork resisting the disk levering the wheel out of the dropout if there is an ovalish washer with a little tang then that must be located in the little hole.

Top Bottom