Newbie alert!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Craigus Farticus, 23 Jan 2018.

1. Craigus Farticus

Craigus Farticus New Member

I have recently purchased a late 1980s Raleigh Equipe. I've been riding a modern Carrera Gryphon hybrid to work which is a 35.5 mile round trip. I run the Gryphon on 23mm tyres, so I'm not too slow but wanted to see if I get to work faster on an old drop bar racer.
    I'm trying to keep the Equipe period correct. What tyres should I be fitting? Brown walled??

Any advice gratefully received. :smile:

Craigus

Attached Files:

Last edited: 23 Jan 2018
    johnnyb47 and welsh dragon like this.
  2. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Hello and welcome :welcome:

3. OP
    OP
    Craigus Farticus

Craigus Farticus New Member

Thank you Welsh Dragon. :smile:

welsh dragon likes this.
  4. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

owdo :bicycle:I do seem to remember the equipe with tanwall tyres

5. Specialeyes

Specialeyes Senior Member

Hi there from the diagonally opposite side of Essex and :welcome:

I used to have an Equipe just like that and tan-walled tyres looked great. It also had just about the most satisfying freewheel 'thok' sound of any bike I've ever owned :smile:

6. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Why keep it 'period correct' they're only a pretty basic bike from Raleigh but do ride nicely, this is mine.

002.JPG

Although it is a 'Super Equipe' from 85 (red and white paint job) the frame will be pretty much the same, as you can see very little is original but every component change was an 'upgrade' on what was fitted, even the hubs which actually date from 78 and 79.

ADarkDraconis and johnnyb47 like this.
  7. phantasmagoriana

phantasmagoriana Über Member

Here's a pic from the catalogue showing the original setup: yes, tan-walled tyres.

8669314287_ff32e9c4fb_b.jpg

ADarkDraconis and raleighnut like this.
  8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Mine as it would have originally looked (and a photo I've nicked before to post on here seemingly)

p100413_1423-jpg.jpg

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  9. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome @Cariagus Farticus to this amazing place to do with all things cycling. I agree with you with regards to keeping a classic bike looking as it should do.
    By the sound of it and by looking at your user name, surely if you modified your cycling shorts ate a suitably explosive diet and rode constantly with your hands on the drops, your Raleigh Equipe might just become rocket powered!!

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  10. Fonze

Fonze Totally obsessive , cool by nature

Hello there .. :bicycle:

11. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

Hey there! I know nothing of road bikes but just wanted to say :welcome: My brother works at the LBS, if you'd like I can ask what ge recommends. (He also likes tan-walled tires, I am personally not a fan for anyone under 65.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice