Newbie alert!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craigus Farticus

I have recently purchased a late 1980s Raleigh Equipe. I've been riding a modern Carrera Gryphon hybrid to work which is a 35.5 mile round trip. I run the Gryphon on 23mm tyres, so I'm not too slow but wanted to see if I get to work faster on an old drop bar racer.
I'm trying to keep the Equipe period correct. What tyres should I be fitting? Brown walled??

Any advice gratefully received. :smile:

Craigus

Attachments

• Raleigh.jpg
    Raleigh.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome :welcome:

Hi there from the diagonally opposite side of Essex and :welcome:

I used to have an Equipe just like that and tan-walled tyres looked great. It also had just about the most satisfying freewheel 'thok' sound of any bike I've ever owned :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why keep it 'period correct' they're only a pretty basic bike from Raleigh but do ride nicely, this is mine.

002.JPG

Although it is a 'Super Equipe' from 85 (red and white paint job) the frame will be pretty much the same, as you can see very little is original but every component change was an 'upgrade' on what was fitted, even the hubs which actually date from 78 and 79.

Hello and welcome @Cariagus Farticus to this amazing place to do with all things cycling. I agree with you with regards to keeping a classic bike looking as it should do.
By the sound of it and by looking at your user name, surely if you modified your cycling shorts ate a suitably explosive diet and rode constantly with your hands on the drops, your Raleigh Equipe might just become rocket powered!!

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Hey there! I know nothing of road bikes but just wanted to say :welcome: My brother works at the LBS, if you'd like I can ask what ge recommends. (He also likes tan-walled tires, I am personally not a fan for anyone under 65.)

Top Bottom