Newbie awaiting Brommie- mirror and bag questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowers

Regular
hello I am new to this forum and just like some other posters I cannot for the life of me justify buying a Brompton as I am retired and no longer commute to London . But I want one . So I took a big gulp at the cost and have ordered a Brompton build which after 5 weeks arrives this week. I shouldn't be excited with anticipation at my age but I am:
H6L Orange with black extremities- was going black but thought if I look silly go the whole way... H bar as prefer upright position due to back problems.
-12 % gearing
Firm suspension
Telescopic seat post ( I am 6ft. 2)
Brooks B17 saddle ( perhaps a mistake if it's goingg to take a long time to break in)
Replacing foam grips with Ergon Gp1 biokork grip shifts ( large)
Orange and black mini o bag
2 ikea bags bought to keep in my and wife's car

Q1 which mirror? One of the reasons I have not done too much cycling is my concern with main road traffic and my lack of ability to look behind clearly. I would like a mirror and have only just started using a mirror with my Dawes Saratoga comfort hybrid - a zefal spy which I find useful and helping me getting back to cycling more but I find it a tad small . I don't want helmet or glasses mirrors. . Mirrycle and Zefal spin bar ends seem to be most popular but being a funny sort I want the bike to look ( to me) balanced ... So aesthetically I want a mirror both sides- of course accommodating the fold is important. . Would the spin work with the fold on an H bar on both ends? Or perhaps the dooack on both ends? The other option is a bike eye -has anyone seen or used one on a Brommie please? It seems to me the Mirrycle is the best but I can't convince myself it would look good to me on the ergons.

So I want a balance of mirrors looking good to me on the biokorks and of course being totally functional.

Q2 which bags? . I have as you see ordered a mini o for everyday use. I am thinking of the shopping basket and maybe getting a hi vis Orange rucksack cover from e bay to match the Orange bike. Or alternatively the c bag fior some shopping etc from e bay . I don't need a t bag size as the bike will be used mainly on day trips So mini o mainly plus one other ... But which.?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

With thanks

Brommyboy

Über Member
I think the Spin would work, if you think the size is large enough. I used to have a pair of Doobac mirrors which did fine on the M bars, which are the same as the H bars. As far as bags go, it really depends what you will carry in them. Sometimes it may be essential to have space for waterproofs, lunch box, tools, etc? Personally I do not like bags with zips: there is always something which will not fit!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The C-bag is pretty big - I think you could get a conservatively packed overnight stay's luggage in one. The main closure is velcro and click buckles, so it expands a little too, if need be. I think they're a great bag, and quite a versatile size.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done on joining the Brompton club .... or 'Fold' as it gets known ....
Brompton bags are pricey and if cost is an issue you can buy the bag-frame separately and then attach a pretty wide variety of existing Saddle-bags etc. with imaginative use of cable-ties etc. I've done this primarily because S-type luggage is more limited and I had stuff kicking around in the garage ....
Saddle-bags such as my old Carradice Camper Longflap and Karrimor bag fit well on my S-Type bag frame and Carradice SQR systems fit well on the seat post.
Worked well on my first cycle-camping trip in nearly 30 years!

IMG_2093.JPG

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Thank you very much for all the advice. I was wondering whether using the plastic coated nite Ize gear ties that are available on Amazon would work instead of cable ties on the frame. Seem a little expensive but would appear to be reusable and easy to fix and remove?

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Maybe the shopping basket with a cover ( how sad am I looking at e bay for an orange waterproof cover to match bike) would meet my needs alongside the mini o bag

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Arrghhh,! Had message from bike shop that Brompton have got the build week wrong and I have to wait another week.......

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Arrghhh,! Had message from bike shop that Brompton have got the build week wrong and I have to wait another week.......
Aaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's a bummer!
But It'll be worth it.

I would suggest before buying more kit for it, see what you start using it for!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Bummer on the wait. I have a Dooback (just the one) on my S bar and it is spot on, it works exactly as you'd expect and fits fine in the fold, ratchet it to lie flush along the top of the bar and it is unobtrusive and nowhere near the ground. I've also had a few zefal spy mirrors over the years, (mildly broken neck & mobility issues since, I rely on mirrors) the image is surprisingly good for regular use that belies the size of the mirror, they can be a bit variable on the convexness and magnification so its maybe worth finding them in a shop and cheking a few. I like the spin too but prefer the spy of the 'little' mirrors. I started wirh the spin on my Brommy for the aesthetic but soon reverted to a Dooback for practicality.
I've got a bikeye somewhere too, to call it c**p is insulting to fecal matter, I doubt the frame clip would properly angle & fit the brommy stem, you need to flick your knee out of the way to see with it, not convinced I'd want to be doing that too much on 16" wheels nor if you'd get it to play properly in the fold wirhout twisting it out of the way.

Bags: the front luggage block and a bag hve been a revelation to me, they just work so well and you dont necessarily need to pay Brommy prices (like I did) as Fab Foodie and a few others have done, you can get a block and bag frame for the cost of a regular bike rear rack and fettle your own bag onto it

OP
OP
Blowers

Blowers

Regular
Many thanks for the advice particularly about not buying more kit! Like several guys I know its often the 'hunt" that keeps me interested- I just hope I am as keen when the bike finally arrives and it doesn't become a five minute wonder! Also I hope I don't spend as much time trawling Brompton threads and just get out and use it...... Roll on better weather...Appreciate the comments re the bike eye - I couldn't find anything on that regards the Brommie and at least I know that is no go. I have had a spy on my hybrid for 2 weeks and just getting used to it but I do find it a bit difficult to iuse as it is mounted inside the handlebar and field of view is restricted. I occasionally hear or find a car is right up behind me before I can see it. Better than nothing though. Is the dooback similar or standard view? Sounds naff but I don't want to spoil the looks of the nice new Biokork GP1 grip shifts and suspect the dooback may not be aesthetically pleasing and may end up with the spin on the H bars.
So yeah ii'll try the spy first then decide on that or the dooback or spin . The mini o will suit most my needs and I'll be in the wife's good books if I do the shopping so the basket or c bag may come next when I have got used to the bike. Thanks again.

Top Bottom