Newbie Bike Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregC

Hi all,

I purchased my first road bike yesterday and the bike has Shimano T550 SPD pedals, all good I believe yet I don't have the shoes/clips to use them!

Sooooo...... I just wondered what your opinions are on them and if I should either swap them for some standard pedals OR get some shoes and clips (if so are there any you can walk normally on saves carrying spare shoes in a bag etc?)

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all,

I purchased my first road bike yesterday and the bike has Shimano T550 SPD pedals, all good I believe yet I don't have the shoes/clips to use them!

Sooooo...... I just wondered what your opinions are on them and if I should either swap them for some standard pedals OR get some shoes and clips (if so are there any you can walk normally on saves carrying spare shoes in a bag etc?)

Cheers
SPD shoes are walkable, SPD SL less so. Do you have a link to the pedals? My guess is the latter. Do you need to walk off the bike however, many 'roadies' manage to waddle around the club ride cafe stop ok. The issues can come if you have an irreparable mechanical and have to walk home!

iluvmybike

Über Member
Hi all,

Cheers
Those you refer are SPD-SL type which you cannot walk in - well you can but it will knacker the cleat - SPDs you can walk in as the cleat is recessed in the sole of the shoe - different cleat fitting entirely between SPD-SL and SPD

Top Bottom