Newbie commuter tyre help please!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kosh, 11 May 2010.

1. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Hi, just took the plunge and started commuting the 14miles to work & back each day.
    I have already got a Mountain bike, which had been more or less sitting in the shed since purchase nearly 5 years ago!
    It's nothing special, just a hardtail raleigh 26" mountain bike.
    The tyres however are obviously designed for off road use are are very knobbley!
    I've recently picked up this mag (well overpriced!) called Ride to Work. It mentions briefly in it to "fit nice fast XC style tyre around 1.75 to 2in" (perfect jargon for the begginers its aimed at!)

So I'm going to b shopping at Halfords or Go Outdoors - what actual tyre should I buy & will it make ANY real difference to whats on it now??

Thanks for reading,

Kosh.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Schwalbe City Jet tyres get good comments!

Yes it will make a difference, slicks pumped up to max pressure will make you faster for a given effort due to less rolling resistance.

3. Kestevan

Kestevan Last of the Summer Winos

+lots on the City Jets - Cracking commuting tyre at a reasonable price. Go for the 1.5 x 26 and you'll think you're riding a different bike.

I'd also have a look at Wiggle or Chain reaction for the tyres, probably much cheaper than Halfrauds (see the link in the "support CC" tab above and not only will you be getting good tyres at reasonable price but you'll also be helping keep these boards afloat :whistle: )

4. killiekosmos

killiekosmos Über Member

I've got Continental Travel Contacts on my hardtail Raleigh MTB, converted for commuting. Slick in middle with a little bit of tread at sides for occasional off-road.

5. OP
    OP
    Kosh

Kosh New Member

City Jets it is then!
    Yeah, your right they're £17.99 at Halfords compaired to as low as £11.99 anywhere else.

In terms of inner tubes will I need new ones?
    Also in the city Jets is it 1.9 or 1.5 on the 26"s?

These are coming up cheap at Go Outdoors how do they compare?
    Raleigh Streetwise Tyre- 26 x 1.50 - Black

Thanks for all your help guys!

6. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

What size tyres do you have now 26 x ????? Depending on what you have will depend on what size you can go to and whether the current inner tubes will fit

7. OP
    OP
    Kosh

Kosh New Member

The tyre size at the moment is 26x1.95
    the offer at wiggle for complete set looks to b on 26x1.5 only, can I still go for these??

Thanks

8. Mike!

Mike! Veteran

Yep get 26 x 1.5 and personally i'd get three new tubes (1 as a spare to carry). Recently made this change on my old MTB and it's so much better on road and still fine on hard tracks across some heathland i use!

9. OP
    OP
    Kosh

Kosh New Member

Great advice everyone, off to wiggle to order these babies!!

10. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Some of these mags really are a waste of money, written by people who don't understand their target market. It the risk of making the same mistake, see the late Sheldon Brown for everything you ever wanted to know (and more) about bicycle tyres...

Hope that helps :blush:

11. Debian

Debian New Member

I put Schwalbe Big Apples on my commuter MTB and very comfy they are too. Quite quick as well.

12. OP
    OP
    Kosh

Kosh New Member

Ok, the tyres arrived from Wiggle. fitted them on went for a ride.
    Problem- on a smooth surface the bike was jumping up and down as I rode, after I looked into it, the tyre is at different heights throughout the rim.
    Ive took them off (spent 4 hours) found that If i raised it in one place it would be down elsewhere, any ideas what's going on. Remember this is all totally new to me!!
    I took a pic to show u what I mean, but if I have trouble uploading it from behind our office firewall, heres a description - theres a line that runs around the rim about 10mm from it the logos & specs run beneath it, when your looking at the whole wheel you can clearly see that usually in one place this line get significantly nearer to the rim. IF I deflate the tyre pull it about a bit in that area, inflate it a bit, pull it about a bit more- finally inflate, the 'flat spot' will be less or gone BUT it normally appears elsewhere on the rim.
    I've made sure the 'band' that protects the inner tube from the spokes is in as much of the ctre as possible, but it does move out of place when innertube/tyre is worked on (not entirely convinced that this is the problem anyway)

Hope thats enough for someone to PLEASE help me!
    Thanks
    Kosh (with very sore fingers now!)

13. OP
    OP
    Kosh

Kosh New Member

Ok, pic didn't work but will email it to anyone who needs it to help me out.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Kosh

14. Muddyfox

Muddyfox Veteran

I picked up one of those cycle to work mags in WH Smiths (not to buy) and its just a load of old recycled Cycling plus reviews and storys

Simon

15. rh100

rh100 Well-Known Member

Put talcum powder around the edge of the tyre and rub it into the bead, this will lubricate it a bit. Pump the tyre up a bit at a time, and massage the tyre where necessary to get it in line, then pump it up to maximum pressure marked on the side wall and you may find it sort of pops into place.

FromSheldon Brown:

<B>
    </B>

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice