Newbie from Alloa in Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Hi all, newbie from Scotland putting out my first post. I'm not only new to Cycle Chat but new to cycling. So new I don't have a bike, well not strictly true I have a mountain bike that Iv'e converted for the road so I will be on the lookout for something second hand to get me started. Tell me, all you long timers out there does it get any easier on your backside mine's been killing me !
wink.gif

Fran143

Über Member
Hello and welcome!:hello:

Yep it does get easier....or your rear end toughens up!:thumbsup:

Hardrock93

Guru
Hi, from just along the road (Stirling). As I'm sure you know, Alloa's a great starting point for some nice and easy off road routes to Dollar, Dunfermline and Stirling.

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Hi, from just along the road (Stirling). As I'm sure you know, Alloa's a great starting point for some nice and easy off road routes to Dollar, Dunfermline and Stirling.

Thanks for that. Have done the Dollar and Sterling runs hopefully doing the Dunfermline run this weekend
biggrin.gif

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
wave.gif
Pedal pusher and
wave.gif
to CycleChat !
thebiggrin.gif

I've done the Dunfermline/Alloa cycle path a few times
Laie_76A.gif
- nice and flat, quite scenic - and a nice round 100km from my home
smile.gif
. Good for some easy miles ....
thumbsup.png

As HLaB says, a (good) pair of padded shorts can make a big difference
biggrin.gif
- as can a decent saddle. Don't be tempted to go for something soft and squashy
icon_smile_disapprove.gif
. There is a reason why racers, tourists and long-distance cyclists use firm (some might even say hard) saddles - they are much more comfortable over long distances. Soft and squishy might be OK for a doodle to the shops but for anything much over 20km, you need more support.

Look forward to riding with you on a CC Ecosse Forum Ride and having CAKE !
glutton.gif

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 62

Col5632

Guru
Welcome to the site :hello:

Done the Dunfermline to Alloa path a few times myself, most i have done on that path is 41 miles though :blush: (i could see the wallace monument :biggrin:)

Does it go on in a decent state after Clackmannan now? The route before between Clackmannan and Alloa was just a rough unsurfaced path, unlike the Clack - Dunfie path which is good but I haven't been on the Clack-Alloa path for several years, I prefer to take the road there.

ACS

Legendary Member
wave.gif
:bicycle:

Hardrock93

Guru
Does it go on in a decent state after Clackmannan now? The route before between Clackmannan and Alloa was just a rough unsurfaced path, unlike the Clack - Dunfie path which is good but I haven't been on the Clack-Alloa path for several years, I prefer to take the road there.

IIRC, the Clacks to Alloa path is ok now. The other major recent improvement to NCN76 is on the Cambus – Tullibody stretch. Instead of a very muddy track behind the Diageo warehouses, there is now a wide, surfaced path, which follows the route of the old railway. This is scheduled to be extended to Menstrie by spring 2012.

On the south side of the river, the NCN76 ‘Round the Forth’ route still includes a really rough stretch, of slightly less than a mile, to the east of Cowie.

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
wave.gif
Pedal pusher and
wave.gif
to CycleChat !
thebiggrin.gif

I've done the Dunfermline/Alloa cycle path a few times
Laie_76A.gif
- nice and flat, quite scenic - and a nice round 100km from my home
smile.gif
. Good for some easy miles ....
thumbsup.png

As HLaB says, a (good) pair of padded shorts can make a big difference
biggrin.gif
- as can a decent saddle. Don't be tempted to go for something soft and squashy
icon_smile_disapprove.gif
. There is a reason why racers, tourists and long-distance cyclists use firm (some might even say hard) saddles - they are much more comfortable over long distances. Soft and squishy might be OK for a doodle to the shops but for anything much over 20km, you need more support.

Look forward to riding with you on a CC Ecosse Forum Ride and having CAKE !
glutton.gif

Thanks for the info on the ride and shorts
biggrin.gif
Where can I get info on the CC Ecosse Forum Ride and do I need to go into training
laugh.gif

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 52
  • biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 45
IIRC, the Clacks to Alloa path is ok now. The other major recent improvement to NCN76 is on the Cambus – Tullibody stretch. Instead of a very muddy track behind the Diageo warehouses, there is now a wide, surfaced path, which follows the route of the old railway. This is scheduled to be extended to Menstrie by spring 2012.

On the south side of the river, the NCN76 ‘Round the Forth’ route still includes a really rough stretch, of slightly less than a mile, to the east of Cowie.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info on the ride and shorts
biggrin.gif
Where can I get info on the CC Ecosse Forum Ride and do I need to go into training
laugh.gif

The CC Ecosse rides are more spontaneous than organised, if you keep you eye CC & informal rides section they crop up in there.

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I didnt know there was a path from clackmann to alloa :banghead:
I did the Alloa to Dunfermline path last Sunday (about 50 km). I went out on the old Alloa road that runs along the Clackmannan bypass. At the end their is a cycle route sign for Clackmannan.

Top Bottom