Newbie from Bath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PIlotBecky

Hello everyone! Since hitting 40 a couple of years ago a friend and I do a cycling challenge every year. Firstly it was Bath to Ilfracombe, and last year it was the London to Brighton. I need to get into training for our next big one, and fancy cycling from Bath to Staverton Airport, next to Cheltenham. Does anyone have any advice on a route, please? Thanks!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
cant offer any advice , but enjoy your ride and welcome to nut forum

HovR

Über Member
Welcome to the forums!

Is there any particular reason you have picked Staverton Airport as your final destination? I live in the area and there are some very nice attractions, that would make memorable final destinations, that spring to mind. St Bartholomew's Church (built around 1175) on top of Chosen hill (Gloucester) provides great views of Churchdown (and Staverton Airport), as well as giving you something interesting to look around.

Painswick Beacon also gives you excellent views of Gloucester, and is only a few miles from the historic village of Painswick, which is worth a look around (and I'm pretty sure you'll find a cafe there. :thumbsup:)

Just a few ideas!

OP
OP
PIlotBecky

PIlotBecky

Ha ha Blue Steel! Avoid those baths if you can. They're all wet and...sometimes cold. Ugh. Hello everyone. Hov: Am riding to Staverton because I'm learning to fly! Am taking a week off work that particular week to crack on with the flying (and driving there mostly) but I thought I'd also have a crack at cycling there and falling over with a beer at The Aviator when I get there. Have been to St Barts church - it's glorious, isn't it? Thanks for all the advice...

OP
OP
PIlotBecky

PIlotBecky

PT Cyclist - what's the Bristol to London ride like? Am tempted!

Blue Steel

Becky. I wish to register myself as offically jealous. I did a bit of flying and gliding many years ago when I was in the Air Training Corps. I absolutely love it. I currently live about a mile from the airfield used by the Norfolk Gliding Club, and constantly see the gliders and tow planes going over nearly taking the chimney off the house. If I had some spare dosh I'd be down there in an instant.

Enjoy the flying. It's an amazing activity, and doesn't even make you sweaty enough to need to take a bath! :smile:

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
I did this last summer - a great ride and a great team that provide support & cake. Not to mention rolling into Exmouth on a sunny morning.... http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk/
This was my first 100 miler and night-time ride. Spent all of Sunday recovering (sleeping) in the garden at home when the Red Arrows decided to fly over - almost shat myself...! (sorry hehe)

Top Bottom