Newbie from Norwich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turbomart

Über Member
Hi, I'm Martyn ....Thought I better say hello as I have been reading the site and gaining knowledge for a little while now.

I like a lot of other people so I can gather have just got back into biking after many years of being over weight:smile: ...I have had a mountain bike though for the last ten years that I used to use very occasionally for work.

I had never owned or even rid a road bike until my son said that I should try one as they were a lot easier to ride, so took his advice and bought a cheap second hand Apollo TDF ....WOW what a difference, it's like night and day.....A quick pic of her....

7732944698_b1f7893b0a_b.jpg
005 by turbomart, on Flickr

I've really got the bug now, so much so... I have just bought another cheap hybrid for the small commute to and from work and the car can just sit there at home from now on ...well unless the weather is really bad :laugh: .....paid just £30 for her...just had to tighten the bottom bracket and set the gears up, she now rides like a dream.

7732936796_dbf3900b86_b.jpg
002 by turbomart, on Flickr

I am now looking for something a bit better than the Apollo to ride in good weather I'll be keeping that though for the winter. So any help or suggestions on what I should be looking for would be good...My budget is between £500 - 700

cheers Martyn

John_c

Hi, welcome to a very friendly forum and :welcome: from me too

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Good for you Martyn: your "best" bike is very competent and your commuter was an absolute steal!

Don't take this unkindly, but unless you've shed all your surplus pounds, then you will get more "bang for your buck" by continuing to lose weight.

Next step up from the Apollo (don't sell it, but keep it as a "Winter bike") would be something around the £600 mark.

I'm currently riding between Ipswich and Norwich on a regular basis (great cafe at, I think, South Rowse): let me know if you'd like to meet up for a few miles at your end.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hiya. Welcome to CC.
We are just outside of Norwich, about 5 miles from the UEA. If you ever fancy some company on a ride, drop us a PM.
Great bikes, bargains too, especially the £30 one.

OP
OP
turbomart

turbomart

Über Member
Wow, just got in from work and logged on....thanks for all your welcome messages guys:smile:

Good for you Martyn: your "best" bike is very competent and your commuter was an absolute steal!

Don't take this unkindly, but unless you've shed all your surplus pounds, then you will get more "bang for your buck" by continuing to lose weight.

Next step up from the Apollo (don't sell it, but keep it as a "Winter bike") would be something around the £600 mark.

I'm currently riding between Ipswich and Norwich on a regular basis (great cafe at, I think, South Rowse): let me know if you'd like to meet up for a few miles at your end.

Thanks for your advice mate....Yeah I agree with you about the weight side of things.....last year I decided enough was enough, 18 1/2 stone and only 5' 10" at age 50 (at the time) was not a good combination:ohmy: ...so decided to do something about it! ...a year and a bit down the road and I am now 13 stone 10 Ibs ...so I'm getting there, still a way to go but hopefully thats where my new found hobby comes in!:smile:

I have done a few 30 to 35 mile runs already but hope to have a ride to the coast in the near future but nothing like Ipswich to Norwich and back! .. .I've obviously got a way to go to reach that standard :thumbsup:

Martyn

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Welcome to the forum turbomart from a fellow Norfolk Dumplin' :hello:

OP
OP
turbomart

turbomart

Über Member
OK, so I think I have narrowed my new bike choice down to one of two..... first up is the Giant TCR2 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p3598

The second one is a Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra which is actually reduced in store to £769 (I think) not £ 949.99 as their website is displaying.....http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p4334

Do anyone own either of these bikes and can maybe sway me one way or the other ? ...Is there anything between the makes or are they much the same sort of quality?

PS. there is nothing in the price really as I would need to buy peddles for the Giant, and the Cannondale comes with them.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Martyn

bottlemsher

Über Member
Hi Martyn
Welcome to the forum

Please come and jion us on Tuesday evenings for a social ride

7:30pm start
Plumstead road ,Witard road junction

We do a 21 mile route (depending on the weather)

on the way back we stop at the Two Friends in Blofield Heath as it's only about 6 miles
back to the start point

OP
OP
turbomart

turbomart

Über Member
Hi Martyn
Welcome to the forum

Please come and jion us on Tuesday evenings for a social ride

7:30pm start
Plumstead road ,Witard road junction

We do a 21 mile route (depending on the weather)

on the way back we stop at the Two Friends in Blofield Heath as it's only about 6 miles
back to the start point

Sounds excellent :thumbsup: will have to check my diary but will definitely join you on a Tuesday soon ....how many normally turn up?

Top Bottom