Newbie from Sunderland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedAntics

Regular
Hello All

I've been lurking in the background a little while, just thought I'd introduce myself. I got back into cycling March 2010 after a 12 year sabatical and an ever expanding waitline. I still had my trusty Stumpjumper so dusted her down and hit the local cyle routes. I regularly got passed, at speed, by roadies and thought I'd invest in road bike to better improve my fitness. I bought a Trek 1.2 in July 2010 and have enjoyed getting out there and pounding the roads. I still get roadies whizzing by but not as often as they used to ;). I've participated in a couple of middle distance sportives this year with the hope of doing some longer rides next year.
Apparently there's a hurricane on the way so I'm off for a quick spin before it hits!:bicycle:

gypsy

Hello All

I've been lurking in the background a little while, just thought I'd introduce myself. I got back into cycling March 2010 after a 12 year sabatical and an ever expanding waitline. I still had my trusty Stumpjumper so dusted her down and hit the local cyle routes. I regularly got passed, at speed, by roadies and thought I'd invest in road bike to better improve my fitness. I bought a Trek 1.2 in July 2010 and have enjoyed getting out there and pounding the roads. I still get roadies whizzing by but not as often as they used to ;). I've participated in a couple of middle distance sportives this year with the hope of doing some longer rides next year.
Apparently there's a hurricane on the way so I'm off for a quick spin before it hits!:bicycle:
hi,
what sportives you thinking of doing next year and what distances?.

OP
OP
PedAntics

PedAntics

Regular
hi,
what sportives you thinking of doing next year and what distances?.

I did the Captain Cook and Northern Rock Cyclone this year. I'm probably looking to do the same plus any of the local ones. I've not completed the C2C yet so that's on my to do list. Unfortunately a hernia op, in July, scuppered a number of planned rides.

Hi & :welcome: to CC

Thanks

Hi and welcome :hello: , I live just along the road from you. There are quite a few of us on here from hereabouts.

Thanks. I cycle regularly through Boldon.

Hi

Another local here. Welcome to CC, might even see you out on the road sometime.

If your interested in club cycling have a look here:

http://www.sunderlandclarion.org.uk/

Thanks. I've spoken previously to a couple of the Clarion guys, not sure of names though. I've also pointed a couple of guys in the direction of Clarion. I have thought of joining however I'm not used to group riding and the pace is higher than my current level, wouldn't want to be a dead weight spoiling it for others.:blush:

Don't let the thought of high pace put you off.

There are two club runs on a Sunday. One normally starts from Shiney Row and is a fast paced non stop training ride usually 50-60 at 19-20 mph.

The other is a more social ride, with cafe stop usually 60-80 miles at a more sedate 15-17 mph.

Cheers. I've registered on the Clarion forum and will keep an eye out on your Sunday morning rides.

On a less savoury note - I was out for a spin last Thursday and had a lad lean from a car, near Marsden Primary School, almost knocking me off my bike. I'm not sure if the intention was actually for him to knock me from the bike or at least shock me so as to cause a crash. It was a Black Clio NX02 VAU, the lad in the passenger seat was wearing a blue top. I had debated reporting it however didn't think the police would be able to do anything. The scary thing is that this is the 2nd time such an incident has occured. Earlier in the year cycling into Stanley, a guy leant out of a passing mini bus almost clipping me. I try not to think of the repercussions had contact been made in either incident. I was not impeding traffic and was in the secondary position in both incidents. I'm a 44 year old bloke just trying to get fit, Thursday happened to be my birthday!! Not sure if you guys have had similar experiences or if I'm just unlucky? The Clio is local as I've seen it out and about in the area, be safe!

Nice one hope to see you out in the near future.

Your other incident is very disturbing, but sadly not uncommon. I actually had a Black Clio pass me on the coast a few days ago, he was blaring his horn as he passed. I suspect to try and intimidate me, stupid really as every other aspect of his overtake was perfect. But I do seem to remember it being an 02 plate! Incidentally I have just remember it was Thursday at around 4.45-5pm on my way to work.

I have to say that in the case of your incident I would certainly have reported it. At the very least it would be recorded and the police 'should' go along and have a word.

I think my worst incident was having a can of Fosters Lager thrown at me from a green micra near Shiney Row. It struck me on the leg, sadly I didnt get the reg or he would certainly have been reported. Have also had water thrown over me again on the coast road near Souter Lighthouse from a moving car. I was doing about 28mph at the time and got quite a shock. Coming off the bike at that speed would certainly ruin my day!

OP
OP
PedAntics

PedAntics

Regular
Nice one hope to see you out in the near future.

Your other incident is very disturbing, but sadly not uncommon. I actually had a Black Clio pass me on the coast a few days ago, he was blaring his horn as he passed. I suspect to try and intimidate me, stupid really as every other aspect of his overtake was perfect. But I do seem to remember it being an 02 plate! Incidentally I have just remember it was Thursday at around 4.45-5pm on my way to work.

I have to say that in the case of your incident I would certainly have reported it. At the very least it would be recorded and the police 'should' go along and have a word.

I think my worst incident was having a can of Fosters Lager thrown at me from a green micra near Shiney Row. It struck me on the leg, sadly I didnt get the reg or he would certainly have been reported. Have also had water thrown over me again on the coast road near Souter Lighthouse from a moving car. I was doing about 28mph at the time and got quite a shock. Coming off the bike at that speed would certainly ruin my day!

I have now reported it.

Edit - It has been dealt with and the driver spoken to. Police were very good in dealing with this and gave prompt feedback on the action taken. Hopefully a lesson learned for all concerned, however time will tell.

Sonofpear

Hi pedantics, I'm just down the road in south shields. Can relate to your incident, I've had a couple of similar ones. Far too many dickheads in cars.

G-Zero

Über Member
Hello PedAntics and welcome,

Just in relation to yours and Sonofpear's incidents on the coast and please don't think I'm making excuses for the idiots in the cars, but the area from South Shields sea front, south to Roker Pier in Sunderland is heavily visited on weekends and weekday summer evenings by more than a fair share of boy racers, from all across the north.

I'm not tarring them all with the same brush as a good number of them take a pride in their machines and drive them correctly.... others though ?, well you've obviously encountered them and they don't deserve to be on our roads.

Well done for getting round to reporting the one you were involved with, it may just be one less idiot for the rest of us to have to put with.

Top Bottom