Newbie from Yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Hi everyone

I've had the forum recommended to me as we are hoping to buy 4 (yes, gulp 4!) bikes.

Our two boys are now of an age where we can no longer keep up with them on the towpaths/cycle trails with us walking and them on their bikes!

So, we need a couple of bikes and they need their hand-me-down bikes replacing as they are out growing them and tbh their current ones seem to be built out of scaffolding poles. We've been looking for a little while but are overwhelmed by the choices!

As my eldest is now 10 I'm hoping this will also lead to another activity we can share which might also help me trim a little of my excess insulation!!

Anyway, I'm going to post a thread for some specific advice and hope you'll be able to give me a few thoughts, experiences and ideas.

Thanks for reading and a Happy New Year.

Adrian

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome: - I'd suggest you find bikes the children like, then simply get out and use them.

sidevalve

Über Member
:welcome: - I'd suggest you find bikes the children like, then simply get out and use them.
+1 for the above. Don't buy junk but make 100% sure it's a JOINT choice when you buy the kids bikes. At that age they are not fools and if you explain why a cetain type of bike is better / easier to ride etc they will understand. You can choose anything you want, for yourself, be it good or bad it's up to you, they will need guidance BUT they also need to feel that they are riding bike they chose. Besides, choosing the bikes, if you do it as a family thing can be half the fun.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Decide on your budget - seems obvious, but with buying 4 this can soon add up.

Realistically how much are you going to use them, how long with the childrens will the have them before they out grow them?
(I've got cheaper bikes for my children at times, as, A, they outgrow them, B,, they don't really use them often,
Soon as they show interest, I will invest in somthing better)

Don't go for what looks flashy but won't last (e.g. suspension forks) on cheap bikes.

Some smaller shops may do deals for multiple bikes,( I even did this with Half***s) also ideal time of the year to look for discounts.

Post back on here what you are looking at

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Thanks for your replies

Really good point re the boys choosing their bike.
We have had a reward system going for the last three months for them so they have seen their points add up for their bike.

On Monday, they both chose their bike - even down to the colourway. My 7yo has just started in a cycling club on a Saturday morning hence realising that his current hand-me-down is less than ideal - I think he'll love his.

For my 10yo he likes the Mongoose MTB (I can't remember the exact model but it was recommended by the LBS) and the Specialized is a close second - he is going today to have another look at the Mongoose to make his decision!

Here's a link to the post I put up elsewhere on the forum: -

I've managed to get a 10% discount for the bikes so that has saved a few £££s

Emmaroid

Welcome from a fellow Yorkshire dude!

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and welcome
It's great fun looking at new bikes. It can be a bit of an eye opener too.( "They want how much for that one? Good grief!").
Take your time and enjoy.

Top Bottom