newbie gear help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kumquat

Hey guys, I've just bought a CX bike for commuting and a bit of fun, an upgrade from a 10yr old cheap MTB.

When having my first little ride around (just doing loops around the neighborhood to get used to the new style of bike) I noticed that often when I try to change from the small front gear-thing (sorry, I'll pick up the lingo eventually!) to the big one (my gears are 2x8 speed) the chain falls off back onto the small one.

I believe this is probably to do with choosing the wrong combination of gears and putting the chain under to much pressure or something, but could anyone enlighten me and suggest how I can change gears better to prevent this from happening?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is desirable to keep the chain as straight as possible.

Practically, this means big ring at the front/smaller rings at the back, and little ring at the front/bigger rings at the back.

However, the bike should go into whatever gear you tell it to.

The chain 'falling back onto the smaller ring' suggests an adjustment is needed of the front mech - the cage which moves the chain sideways.

Gears needing adjustment is quite common on a new bike, so I doubt there's anything seriously wrong.

Post details of the bike and maybe a pic of the front mech.

13 rider

Guru
If you got the time I take it back to the retailer (halfords I believe ) and get them to adjust the gears if your not confident then have a quick spin round the car park to check . When I first had my bike I had a few chain off moments but after a while you just get use to the gears and get a feel when to change can't explain it its just an feeling that comes with time

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

It is desirable to keep the chain as straight as possible.

Practically, this means big ring at the front/smaller rings at the back, and little ring at the front/bigger rings at the back.

However, the bike should go into whatever gear you tell it to.

The chain 'falling back onto the smaller ring' suggests an adjustment is needed of the front mech - the cage which moves the chain sideways.

Gears needing adjustment is quite common on a new bike, so I doubt there's anything seriously wrong.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I think it's mainly a case of the new bike being less tolerant of idiots than my last one :P
I'll give it a few rides to practice trying to keep the the chain straighter, and hopefully that will do the trick, if not then I'll get the gears adjusted

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It may be that the new cable has stretched slightly or possibly that you are not pushing the lever far enough to engage on the shifter ratchet, take it back and get them to give it the 'once over'.

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

I'm going to be riding on it for a few days, because earliest I could take it back could be wednesday evening or friday afternoon and it's my primary method of transport. Using it won't make it worse, surely?

I'd also like to add that apart from that (which may be fixed simply by better gear choices and more assertive lever-pushing!) I'm very happy with my new bike- surprisingly comfy! and very fun (downhill is slightly terror inducing, but I'll get over it!)

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

Bike is a carerra crixus btw (I know, halfrauds, but I'm poor (student) and couldn't find 2nd hand CX bikes within budget and location) I'll try and get a picture when it's light- assuming I can work out to transfer photos from phone to laptop

First make sure the hi-stop screw is released enough so that the cage can travel far enough, if you hold the cage in one hand and adjust with the other you will feel movement easier than trying to see it, that way you know if you are going in the right direction.
There should be a barrel adjuster either next to the shifter or on the down tube, chances are if you tighten this (turning it clockwise) it will tension the cable enough to keep the cage in the right place, failing this, this really is an easy job.

Undo the clamp bolt holding the cable to the F.D. release the tension on the shifter i.e. as if you were on the inner ring, put the rear on the largest ring, adjust the cage (lo-stop screw) so the chain doesn't rub on the inner side of the cage (should be about 0.5mm), pull the cable finger tight and attach the clamp, don't forget to release some of the tension from the barrel adjuster before reattaching the cable, this way if you need to take up any slack, which you will probably have to a little, you will have enough movement on the barrel adjuster, this is the same with doubles and triples.

I set my 105 triple up like this in July still shifts like a dream, you don't even notice it most of the time.

Top Bottom