Newbie Here with Unknown Recumbent - Can anyone help? HPV?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KEW

Hello all,
My father has somehow acquired this lovely machine (he bought it on his travels through Europe) and it is wonderful but we do not know what it is and I have struggled to wade my way through the strange world of recumbents. I am in this forum to ask if anyone has any more insight into this machine than I do, from what I gather it is a nice machine and a higher end design because of the full(?) suspension. It is a great ride and hasn't kicked me off too many times so I see it as a kind beast considering my inexperience. From what little research I was able to do the closest resemblance seemed to be that of the HP Velotechniks but I may be way off, I just seem to recognise many design similarities; perhaps it was a one off inspired by the HPV design. Either way it seems like a classy machine to me and very well built, feels very comfortable and stable.

If anyone knows the make that would be greatly appreciated and also what sort of value it should fetch on the secondhand market. As much fun as we have both had with it I think neither of us can justify the space at the moment and most likely it will be needing a new home in the near future.

Here are the photos I have taken, let me know if you would like to see more to help identify it. (sorry they're a little hazy)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Send the photos to Kevin at DTEK and he will tell you all you need to know 😁 He deals with all things recumbent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Send the photos to Kevin at DTEK and he will tell you all you need to know 😁 He deals with all things recumbent.

Thanks I'll look into that, anyone know the best method of contact for him?

also happy to hear from any other opinions if I can't reach him.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Geometry is similar to an HPV SMGT, and rear triangle pivot seems very familiar, but the ensemble looks less engineered than their current offerings. The straight tube is unusual to my eye, and the dual seat supports should be a recognisable feature to anyone that's seen one like this before. Also those delta bars are quite a thing...

Reactions: KEW
OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Geometry is similar to an HPV SMGT, and rear triangle pivot seems very familiar, but the ensemble looks less engineered than their current offerings. The straight tube is unusual to my eye, and the dual seat supports should be a recognisable feature to anyone that's seen one like this before. Also those delta bars are quite a thing...

Yes I thought so too I thought maybe a model from a few generations back. And yeah the bars are fun but work very well, quite well positioned.

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Are those hydraulic rim brakes? That dates it, as does the chainset

Yes they are indeed. I'm more of a vintage cyclist so don't usually mess around with anything hydraulic (they do work very nicely tough), do you have any idea when that dates it to then?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes they are indeed. I'm more of a vintage cyclist so don't usually mess around with anything hydraulic (they do work very nicely tough), do you have any idea when that dates it to then?

Around mid 90’s I’d say.

Can you see a letter stamped on the backside (bit facing hub) of the cranks?

Last edited:
Reactions: KEW
Here we go .............with bonus points ....its a ............
....RADIUS of Munster Germany swb model called the "16V" or "Hornet"
Radius were better known or famous for the classic long wheelbase PEER GYNT
Long gone as a recumbent company .....but these days actually producing TUBUS cycle racks .
I would like to claim my prize please ....:notworthy:
.....either the box of chocolates or the tea towel would be very nice :wacko:
Finally would like to purchase the machine ....if for sale ..........cause thats what I do !"£$
Regards Kevin D.TEK

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Thanks for all the help guys but looks like we certainly have a winner and I have one less box of chocolates to my name aha.

Here we go .............with bonus points ....its a ............
....RADIUS of Munster Germany swb model called the "16V" or "Hornet"
Radius were better known or famous for the classic long wheelbase PEER GYNT
Long gone as a recumbent company .....but these days actually producing TUBUS cycle racks .
I would like to claim my prize please ....:notworthy:
.....either the box of chocolates or the tea towel would be very nice :wacko:
Finally would like to purchase the machine ....if for sale ..........cause thats what I do !"£$
Regards Kevin D.TEK

Thanks for that one Kevin you certainly know your stuff. If you can contact me privately on here about an offer go for it I'll pass the message on to my dad but yes still not 100% sure yet as it is great fun. If there's no system on this site I have emailed you directly about it there.

Kevin does that rack have the same kind of fitting as a Peer Gynt rack.
The pictures of the flat bars used to support the rack are a DIY mod .
The original Peer Gynt rack support used twin solid bars tapped and screwed at one end and fitted to a T shaped plate mounted near the black rubber shocker
So a flat bar copycat solution is unlikely to work
I could provide a template drawing and dimensions and pictures
from a brand new Radius Peer Gynt as part of my *stock
....but that would be 3/4 weeks because of my current workload
* open to serious offers for probably the last unridden and mint condition PG in the world :okay:

Top Bottom