Newbie needing bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raleigh_Grifter

Hi all,

Had a look on a few forums and this seemed like it might be the best place to join. I'm early 40's and have had only the one bike since late teens (10 speed racer), which I just used in occasional spells - nothing serious, and nothing for about 8 years.

I've recently entered into a charity ride end of June (63 miles - I've never cycled anywhere near that far before), and obviously need a bike. I've been meaning to get one for a year or two, as I occasionally play five a side, but injuries etc, mean it's difficult to keep fit that way, so I want to try getting into cycling, as my fitness is pretty low.

I was thinking of getting a hybrid, as I didn't want to limit myself to roads only. I quite fancied leaving myself the option to use country paths and trails as well as building up some miles on the road, though I'm not interested in breaking my neck mountain bike style! Commuting could be a possibility in the future (25 mile round trip), just to add that into the mix.

After doing a little bit of research I noticed that cross bikes could be a possible option, as they have the sturdiness of a hybrid, but also could be decent on the road? However they seem short in numbers compared to the vast numbers of hybrids, and there aren't many in my price range it seems.

I must admit to being quite amazed at just how much is out there, how technical all this is and how expensive! I thought I would be looking at a decent priced bike, but it seems I am definitely at the lower end of the market.

The little bit I've learned so far, I think I could be looking possibly for a cross bike, maybe around £500 max mark (although my initial starting point was something for £250ish!), but what width of tyres? What kind of saddle? What kind of bike? And what about all the kit needed?

One of the things that has maybe put me off a hybrid, is the straight bars. Would they not get uncomfortable on the road for decent distances? I'd want something that could do the miles on the road nicely without being too heavy, but also capable of doing non road stuff.

I guess I'm just looking for advice and experience of others. I'm not rich, so I want to make the right decision about this bike.

Sorry about the long ramble, but the more I get into this the more questions I'm finding!

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Please no jargon - I've looked at specs of bikes online and 90% of it goes over my head!

kerndog

Hi - Im also new hear and recently bought my bike. Your story is the same as mine. I started with a low budget (for bike and kit) and ideas of a hybrid, but after a load of reading I decided road bike was the way. i had £500 and managed to get a cracking second hand Allez with a load of extras like a pump, bottle, computer etc from ebay for £450, then went out and got all the other bits (ended up spending a lot on kit but you dont have to go nuts right away, a good jacket, helmet and padded shorts and your off!).

Anyway my advice to you would be to get a road bike if it's purely for pleasure riding - in fact whatever, get a road bike, you wont regret it! I bloody love mine.

Oh and if you do go down the second hand route make sure you know what size frame you need, very important! Im sure theres loads of other advice people who actually know what they are talking about can give you.

Here's my intro thread, might be of interest... might not

good luck with the search and your forthcoming adventures

stevey

Guru
Morning all also in the same boat currently have Mongoose MTB (heavy) will be looking in future for a road bike poss budget £500 but is a few months away yet so will be interesting to see what is mentioned here, sorry cannot give advice as i have never rode a road bike before but thinking will be an interesting challenge. :ohmy:

Kies

I would look again at your cycling needs. If you really will use the bike on canal paths,parks etc then a road hybrid (very similar to a road bike,but has a flat bar) would be the way to go. If your using it on the roads ONLY ..... i would get a road bike.

Beware this cycling malarkey ..... It gets under your skin,you spend loads and one bike is NEVER ENOUGH! ;)

Kins

Über Member
i always have a few road bikes

I thought a few was 3 biggs, are you sure thats all you've got? :laugh:

I would go down to a bike shop/ LBS and have a look at some in the flesh, sit on a few different types and maybe even have a test ride. You will find many "bargains" on ebay/Gumtree/Preloved etc but you really need to find the style and the size you need before taking the plunge.

From the sounds of it a hybrid sounds about right but you maybe will find a less racey road bike that can do light trails etc will suit you better when you actually try one.

Oh and hi!

matthat

Über Member
Kies is right about cycling getting under your skin! 7-8 yrs ago i started on a £250 mtb which got ran into the ground!! But i now have a specialized hybrid a merida mtb and am waiting for my new arrival of a giant road bike!! Cos one bike just isn't enough!! I'm with you on budget i have to justify every penny spent cos life is Sooo tight these days! My bikes have all been bought on the cycle to work scheme and that way the payments are spread out over 12 months so for £560 i was paying something like 28-30 £'s per month and that way also you save on the purchase because money is taken before tax! read website and hopefully it'll make more sense.
I spent 500 on 1st 2 bikes then another 60 or so on accessories,helmet,lights,lock etc
I'll add the link below and if i can be of more assistance feel free to message me!! Hope this gives you food for thought.

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I thought a few was 3 biggs, are you sure thats all you've got? :laugh:

Ikins you caught me out at mo its more like 6 roadworthy ones and 3 or 4 non roadworthy ones and a couple of frames awaiting build oh and then a tandem ! and a couple of kids bikes

OP
OP
Raleigh_Grifter

Raleigh_Grifter

Hello again all,

Sorry I've not been back on for a week or so. Thanks for all the replies though!

Slight update.. Looks like I might be able to get a bike through the Cycle to work scheme, so my budget is a bit higher. If I'm going to be making a heavy saving, I might as well get a decent set of wheels out of it, so maybe something around the 750 mark plus kit would be the way to go?

Kerndog - thanks very much for your reply. Most interesting!

PoweredByVeg, I've actually been to Edinburgh Cycles in Newcastle and chatted to the guy about it all. He pointed me in the direction of that very bike you've linked. Moreso that than the more expensive ones because I was unsure what direction my bike use would take.

So, is there much difference between a £475 cross bike and a £750 one??

What about this one?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/pro...-sora-13?bct=browse/bicycles/cyclocross-bikes

Cheers all

p.s. Is it worth moving this to beginner's section, as I suspect there would be more people read that section of the forum?

Deefex

I've just bought a CAADX Tiagra (one model up from the Sora) with my cycle2work scheme voucher and I'm very happy with it. I went to sit on one at EBC before buying (they didn't have a Tiagra in my size but I sat on the Sora model - the frame geometry is exactly the same) and took it out for a 30 min spin. Nice!

I used to ride a flat bar hybrid to my previous job but since taking up road cycling and spending more and more time on lightweight road bikes I find I don't enjoy riding the hybrid for longer distances anymore. My reasons for opting for a cyclocross bike, and the CAADX in particular is that it can easily accommodate mudguards and a rack, it's a good sturdy frame, I can run wider tyres for comfort, and I really wanted drop handlebars (greater range of hand positions makes it more comfortable for me).

To answer your question - is there much difference between a £475 and £750 bike? Perhaps. It depends on what you're comparing really. Some manufacturers like to build a great frame and skimp on the components, others vice versa. But instead of waxing lyrical about the pros and cons of particular components, just go and see/try the bike you've got your eye on. If it feels good, buy it. Once you've got some miles under your belt you can always make a more informed choice if your company runs another C2W scheme the following year.

Top Bottom