Newbie Needs Gear For New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

I just bought the 2022 Motobecane Strada Express and I'll be needing everything. A helmet, pump, lights, toolkit, lube, bottle/holder, lock, etc. If you have any suggestions and know good places to shop online I would appreciate it. I may be looking for an adjustable stem as well depending on how the bike fits... I haven't received it yet, thanks!

strada-expx4-mttig-21.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Decathlon if they do online in the US?
Or the place selling the bike if they do accessories?
Of course, you’ll find all that stuff on Amazon or eBay.

In the case of the helmet, far better to go to a shop or two and try and buy. Needs to fit your head properly and be comfortable and returning is a faff and can end up costly if have to pay.
Of course, you could support that store further and buy the other bits at the same time :okay:

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I have no idea where are the best places to shop online in the US I'm afraid.

As said above, the helmet is best shopped for in person if possible, as are any other clothes - you don't mention clothes above, but at a minimum if you are going to be spending significant time on the bike, proper cycling shorts will make it a lot more comfortable.

Lights are going to depend on your intended use to a large extent. If you are going to be riding almost entirely on lit roads, then you can get away with much lower powered front light than you would if you are regularly riding after dark on completely unlit roads (in the former case the light is to help you be seen, in the latter, it is need for you to see). If the former, then anything over about 100 lumens (with flashing mode) should be enough, if the latter then you need at least 800 lumens, ideally more if you are going to be riding much above about 15mph (I have a 1600 lumen front light, and am comfortable at 25-30mph if I am even moderately familiar with the road). For the rear, 25-50 lumens is usually enough, with flashing mode. Get a cheaper spare as well just to get you home if your main light fails while out. Personally I prefer USB rechargeable, but opinions vary on this, many people here prefer AAA or AA type batteries (and often use rechargeable versions of those).

Pump - ideally if funds stretch, you want two. A track pump for home use, and a mini pump to carry on the bike for use if you have a puncture while out.

Lube - depending on your climate, you may again want two, one for dry weather and one for wetter weather (used all winter here). The dry lube attracts less dirt to your drivetrain, so is better from the POV of cleaning and wear, but washes off very quickly in wet weather.

Tools. If you have none, then a basic kit is probably a good idea I have This one - not available in the US but I'm sure your local suppliers have something similar. I have yet to find anything I can't do on my bike with this set. You also want a multitool to take with you on your rides for any necessary roadside repairs - preferably this should include a chain splitter - rarely needed, but if your chain breaks, you won't get home without it.

Talking of things to take with you, something you haven't mentioned but which you should also get is either a saddlebag or a bottle tool carrier. In which you should always have a spare inner tube, puncture repair kit, tyre levers and a multitool as mentioned above. If you don't have this basic stuff with you, then there WILL be times when you are walking home or phoning somebody to come and get you.

Lock - Depends on the neighborhoods you ride, and how often/how long you are likely to leave your bike out of your sight.

Bottle holders - the cheapest plastic ones are generally Ok. Whether you want one or two depends on the type of cycling you will be doing (how long and what whether conditions), though if you go down the bottle shaped toolkit route you will definitely want at least two.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Have you got an LBS (Local Bike Shop) anywhere close by? Tyres tubes bags etc all fine online but as mentioned helmets and shoes will benefit from trying on first if able to. At least in the beginning, as you get more obsessed with cycling you will find confidence in sizing style and where to buy everything you will end up ordering from online or a mix of LBS and online. Start planning now for bike number 2 order, maybe 1 year from now...

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Have you got an LBS (Local Bike Shop) anywhere close by? Tyres tubes bags etc all fine online but as mentioned helmets and shoes will benefit from trying on first if able to. At least in the beginning, as you get more obsessed with cycling you will find confidence in sizing style and where to buy everything you will end up ordering from online or a mix of LBS and online. Start planning now for bike number 2 order, maybe 1 year from now...

There are a few Trek stores near me. I think they are the only shops around unless I wanted to head up into the Atlanta area (I don't). I called Atlanta Trek (not in Atlanta, go figure) and talked to them about assembling and setting up the bike, fitting it to me... and they said it would be $100 unless the bike is completely disassembled then it could be $150-$200.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't large sports shops sell cycling equipment? Like Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports authority, even Target or Walmart (granted it's been a while since I've been in the US)

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

As said above, the helmet is best shopped for in person if possible, as are any other clothes - you don't mention clothes above, but at a minimum if you are going to be spending significant time on the bike, proper cycling shorts will make it a lot more comfortable.

I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on the bike, yet. I've thought about getting a second saddle that is mega comfortable that I could swap as needed and just wear whatever I want and ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on the bike, yet. I've thought about getting a second saddle that is mega comfortable that I could swap as needed and just wear whatever I want and ride.
You don't need more than one saddle once you've found a comfortable one (and that comfortable one for longer rides likely won't be all gel squishy or heavily padded, but firm and the right shape and width for you)

vickster

Legendary Member
The Bontrager kit and accessories sold by Trek stores are good quality items :okay: (although not bargain basement)
Bell from Walmart actually might offer much of what you need too

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Don't large sports shops sell cycling equipment? Like Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports authority, even Target or Walmart (granted it's been a while since I've been in the US)

They do, there's also Academy Sports. I wouldn't consider them bike shops though. If you ask a question to anybody in those stores no one's going to know what they're talking about.

vickster

Legendary Member
They do, there's also Academy Sports. I wouldn't consider them bike shops though. If you ask a question to anybody in those stores no one's going to know what they're talking about.
No but you're buying a helmet...just go in, try on, if good, pay :okay:

Pumps etc you can just get online. As said Bontrager is good, so could stick to that. Bottles, cages, saddle bags, just go to Walmart or Target if want to see first

Don't buy everything at once, because you'll invariably end up with bits you'll never need. Get the basics, and then build up from there when the need arises.

For yourself: helmet, gloves and clear glasses. The gloves will save your skin if you come off, and glasses will keep road dirt and insects out of your eyes.

For the bike: a bar bag or a saddle bag to put multi-tool, a spare tube, puncture repair kit or the instant patches, and maybe a spare quick link for your chain. Plus of course a mini-pump, which can be attached to the frame using the bottle cage bosses. And lights if you know you're going to be out in the dark.

Wouldn't worry about a saddle until you've got the bike and ridden it. The OEM saddle might be right for you. If it isn't, then's the time time start looking for "the one"

Also, don't stint on tools - buy good quality ones. Maybe some of our other US-based members can advise...

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I definitely won't be buying everything at once, I can't afford to :pump:

It would be nice if I could find a large bottle holder though that would fit my Nalgene Tritan Narrow Mouth Water Bottle, 32 oz it is 3.5 inches x 7 inches/88.9mm x 177.8mm

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

For yourself: helmet, gloves and clear glasses. The gloves will save your skin if you come off, and glasses will keep road dirt and insects out of your eyes.

For the bike: a bar bag or a saddle bag to put multi-tool, a spare tube, puncture repair kit or the instant patches, and maybe a spare quick link for your chain. Plus of course a mini-pump, which can be attached to the frame using the bottle cage bosses. And lights if you know you're going to be out in the dark.

How can you tell what your bike can have mounted? Not that I want all of this but having the options would be nice to have fenders, front and back racks, etc I see what looks like 3 mount screws on the forks and there's that one on the back. Can you tell by looking at it or are those things doable with most bikes? This top picture is more of what I had in mind.

FX3Disc_22_35021_A_Accessory1.jpeg

Capture+_2021-11-18-16-57-16.png

Last edited:
Well, you've definitely got the bosses on both the seat and down tubes to take bottle cages. The clip for a mini pump will also go on those bosses - typically, you've got a bit on the clip that will fit under a bottle cage.

You've also got the eyelets on the front fork and rear triangle to take full-length mudguards.

And I think it looks like you've also the bosses on the seat stays to take the top fastening for a rear rack.

Unless you're looking at very expensive and lightweight bikes (which will likely only have the bottle cage bosses), most bikes will have the capability to take all the assorted gubbins.

Top Bottom