Newbie needs tarmac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lolls

Regular
Hi
I've just got a hybrid, tried hubby's road bike but wanted wider tyres. Anyway I've not ridden for 43 years and need somewhere 'soft under wheel' to ride. I've been to Greenham Common in Berkshire 3 times this week and have done just over 5 miles each ride. I'm loving it but my backside and coccyx are so painful. I've got a ladies saddle and gel cycling shorts. My saddle could probably do with being raised, but until i get more confidence I need to be able to put my feet down when stopping.

I'm not ready to go on the road. The thought has me hyperventilating. Can't even take my hand off the handlebars yet. But having said all this I absolutely love it. I can't do hills yet either lol

Basically I need a big carpark, Greenham Common is so bumpy I'm sure it's not helped my backside.

Any advice greatly received. Thank you.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
:welcome:

I bet there's some space in the Newbury station or Sainsburys car parks on Sunday evenings. Other people in the area may suggest better ones where you could practice weekday evenings too.

Another good option is to ask the local highway council (West Berks?) if they offer on-road "Bikeability" cycle training.

The comments about backside and coccyx and being unable to take hands off the bars makes me wonder if the bike's the wrong size, but a good trainer may be able to opine on that too.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
:welcome:
Sorry I can't offer any specific route advice, I would just add that being out enjoying your bike is probably the most important aspect of your post. Everything else will follow in time.

S-Express

The backroads around Greenham/Crookham/Brimpton are pretty quiet - why not try those? Alternatively, try pretty much any industrial estate on a Sunday...

wonderloaf

Veteran
I see your location says you're from North Hampshire, if you're anywhere near Basingstoke then it has a large network of cycle paths that might suit you. Also if you're over Berkshire way ever thought about cycling along the Kennet & Avon Canal, which is not too far from Greenham Common. From memory the towpaths are pretty well kept and there are a few nice pubs to visit (great for a Sunday ride) the Rowbarge at Woolhampton is a particular favourite of mine ;)

OP
OP
L

Lolls

Regular
Try checking the tyre pressures, lowering them slightly could help.
Thank you. Did that and it did help as did fiddling with gears. I've got 3 on left and 8 on right. I went up to 2 on left and then just went up and down gears on right when I needed to. Found I used my legs more and had more control.

OP
OP
L

Lolls

Regular
I see your location says you're from North Hampshire, if you're anywhere near Basingstoke then it has a large network of cycle paths that might suit you. Also if you're over Berkshire way ever thought about cycling along the Kennet & Avon Canal, which is not too far from Greenham Common. From memory the towpaths are pretty well kept and there are a few nice pubs to visit (great for a Sunday ride) the Rowbarge at Woolhampton is a particular favourite of mine ;)
That's great. Thank you. I live in Pamber Heath. So all those places you mentioned are not far from me. I really don't have the confidence yet for road cycling

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thank you. Did that and it did help as did fiddling with gears. I've got 3 on left and 8 on right. I went up to 2 on left and then just went up and down gears on right when I needed to. Found I used my legs more and had more control.
:thumbsup:

Generally on that sort of set-up, changing up or down on the left is roughly equivalent to changing 2 or 3 on the right, so it's useful for getting extra-low (for climbing or very rough ground) or extra-fast. It's best to avoid mixing the extremes (so slowest gear on the left with fastest gear on the right) mainly because it's less efficient and sometimes noisy but it shouldn't break anything.

I see your location says you're from North Hampshire, if you're anywhere near Basingstoke then it has a large network of cycle paths that might suit you.
That's probably better than Newbury. http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/leisure-park#elem_29723 claims to have free parking and I think Car Parks 2 and 9 are next to tarmac cycle tracks which give access to the wider network, although to the west it soon starts mixing residential roads between sections of track.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I can't help with regard to finding somewhere you can cycle, but i would advise you to gret rid of the gel shorts. Softer is not the way to go. I found out the hard way. It seems counter intuitive i know but it works. If you have a gel saddle, i would look at alternatives to that as well.

But apart from that, the only thing that will help is to ride your bike. The more you ride it, the more accustomed to the saddle your rear will become. I hadn't been on a bike for 44 years, so don't give up. Good luck and i wish you well.

OP
OP
L

Lolls

Regular
I can't help with regard to finding somewhere you can cycle, but i would advise you to gret rid of the gel shorts. Softer is not the way to go. I found out the hard way. It seems counter intuitive i know but it works. If you have a gel saddle, i would look at alternatives to that as well.

But apart from that, the only thing that will help is to ride your bike. The more you ride it, the more accustomed to the saddle your rear will become. I hadn't been on a bike for 44 years, so don't give up. Good luck and i wish you well.
Thank you for that advice. Trial and error I guess. But nothing is going to stop me. I love the outdoors and love my bike.

Top Bottom