Newbie needs tarmac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I can't help with regard to finding somewhere you can cycle, but i would advise you to gret rid of the gel shorts. Softer is not the way to go. I found out the hard way. It seems counter intuitive i know but it works. If you have a gel saddle, i would look at alternatives to that as well.

But apart from that, the only thing that will help is to ride your bike. The more you ride it, the more accustomed to the saddle your rear will become. I hadn't been on a bike for 44 years, so don't give up. Good luck and i wish you well.
This/\/\/\/\

Times a hundred!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thank you for that advice. Trial and error I guess. But nothing is going to stop me. I love the outdoors and love my bike.
That pain...will fade with time and use. Normally after about 5 rides or so (depending on time spent in the saddle on each ride) .

Good luck

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That pain...will fade with time and use. Normally after about 5 rides or so (depending on time spent in the saddle on each ride) .
There is an alternative view to the gel-phobic masochists though, that while maybe one might get pain if riding distance isn't built up gradually, anything beyond that is not a necessary part of cycling and may signify an ill-fitting saddle, or possibly bike, which should be corrected before it does lasting damage. I like my saddles, even the gel ones, which are good on the bikes they're on :thumbsup:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There is an alternative view to the gel-phobic masochists though, that while maybe one might get pain if riding distance isn't built up gradually, anything beyond that is not a necessary part of cycling and may signify an ill-fitting saddle, or possibly bike, which should be corrected before it does lasting damage. I like my saddles, even the gel ones, which are good on the bikes they're on :thumbsup:
Yep true. Long term pain that doesn't get better with miles is a sure sign of a deeper issue.

But I suspect as the OP is a new (returning) rider, that this is just initial, good ol' fashioned sore ar5e.

wonderloaf

Veteran
That's great. Thank you. I live in Pamber Heath. So all those places you mentioned are not far from me. I really don't have the confidence yet for road cycling
Another idea if you want flat tarmac .... The Range general store down the A33 has a large car park which even at busy times seems to be mostly empty, it's not that far from you and may be worth checking out.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Lolls are you sitting on your seat bones while riding?
Can you feel your bum bones touching the wide bit of the saddle?
You should, if not the saddle is either wrong for you, or too far back, or too far forward, or too tilted up, or too tilted down. Experiment.
If your soft tissue is sore the saddle might be too long in the nose, or too tilted up.
Or your reach too the bars too far.
You need somebody to see you riding, have you a local cycle hub?
I don't agree in suffering more than 10 miles or so as a beginner, if after a few short rides you are still sore take action.
You should only be sore after 100 miles :biggrin:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Good option might be a Local Bike Shop, I for ages had a hard saddle that was excruciating after a lengthily ride. Took it to a LBS, lovely gel saddle fitted and saddle soreness is in the past. Hard saddles are okay for some but god invented gel for the rest of us :smile:

Best of like with your new hobby, hope you read the warnings on the packet about it being highly addictive!

Keep pedalling you will find your way.

OP
OP
L

Lolls

Regular
@Lolls are you sitting on your seat bones while riding?
Can you feel your bum bones touching the wide bit of the saddle?
You should, if not the saddle is either wrong for you, or too far back, or too far forward, or too tilted up, or too tilted down. Experiment.
If your soft tissue is sore the saddle might be too long in the nose, or too tilted up.
Or your reach too the bars too far.
You need somebody to see you riding, have you a local cycle hub?
I don't agree in suffering more than 10 miles or so as a beginner, if after a few short rides you are still sore take action.
You should only be sore after 100 miles :biggrin:
Thank you. Hubby keeps giving advice. I'm certainly getting better

OP
OP
L

Lolls

Regular
I've cycled just over 20 miles in a week.
Things are feeling slightly better. I'm desperate to get onto the road but not going too soon or I know I'll lose my confidence. I've shaved about 11 minutes off my first ride. Thank you all for your support
Lolls

That's great. Thank you. I live in Pamber Heath. So all those places you mentioned are not far from me. I really don't have the confidence yet for road cycling
When you do get the confidence to go on the road just remember to stay clear of the A340. Horrible road.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Top Bottom