Newbie ready to take to the road on a specially adapted recumbent trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello to everyone my name is Iain , I'm a 27 year old guy from Leigh in Wigan (Lancashire) & this is my first post.

This is me,

back in February 2005 when I was 19 years old I had a motorbike accident which left me with a serious debilitating injury resulting in paralysis of both my arms & hands - bilateral plexus brachial injury is the medical term (I’m typing with my feet if you’re wondering). I never thought I’d be able to ride a bike of any nature again but after recently having a car adapted earlier this year I thought if I can drive an adapted car then maybe I could have a bicycle adapted too? After doing some research on the internet I found a company called ‘Quest 88’ based in England who adapt bicycles/trikes for adults & children so I contacted them. When meeting up with them at the Birmingham NEC bike show we spoke to a German bicycle company there called ‘Draisin’ who told me I could possibly have a recumbent trike adapted with my disability in mind. I travel to Germany on the 12 November to get my trike built so I was hoping to get some advice about various things on the cycling forums. I know this is a long post so I’d like to thank you for taking the time to read this & I appreciate any advice or questions

Iain

Keith Oates

Janner
Unfortunately I can't offer you any advice regarding on making or adapting a trike but I do wish you well and hope the visit to the bike company in Germany goes well. Writing updates on the progress of the trike and ultimately how it feels to ride it would be very interesting to me and I'm sure most of the members of CC.

Hi,

Welcome to the dark side... recumbent trike owners are a weird lot!!!!

I have no experience with disability as severe as yours, but have advised successfully on handbikes, and adaptations before.

There is an excellent file from Velovision on Special Needs Cycling including companies that can assist.

There is also advice on the www.londonrecumbents.com]London Recumbents website.

and not to forget Get Cycling in York

One thing I would research is VAT. If this trike is purpose built and suitable only for "special needs use" then you should be able to claim back VAT.

I failed with this when I bought my electric assisted Gekko as it can also be used normally.
Best of luck, and keep us informed (with pics) of your progress.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Welcome Iain, best of luck with the trike, and happy riding! I've no particular recommendations about safety equipment other than to make yourself very visible on the road.

Thanks for the useful links cunobelin I will look into those with some depth it is much appreciated. I have just ordered these to help visibilty to others http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-Bike-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564e0f934e are they any good? I've also bought this to put on my panion to be more visible from the back http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-GREEN-...isure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item27cb53a406

I wouldn't buy anything else yet - even if tempted!

Recumbents often need some adaptations to fit standard parts so having the machine is essential.

The Neon valve covers are an example, they only fir Schraeder valves, if you have the high pressure Presta valves you will need an adapter.

The cable is fine. but works better (in my experience) fastened to the pole for the flag (if you have one. The other thing you need is a small double plastic bag to waterproof the battery pack.

.. don't get fixated by visibilty, recumbents are highly visible, and panniers, lights etc will give you a similar profile to an ordinary bike

I was thinking the same regarding the protective bag for battery box of the neon string whilst putting it inside the pannier with maybe a small damp box too. My trike will have a pair of wing mirrors on for visibilty but does wearing a protective neck brace restrict neck movement significantly?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have nothing of real value to offer to this thread, but wanted to say how awesome you come across Iain. With all the challenges you must face on a daily basis I adore your positivity and can do nature. Damn good on you fella
The para-olympics showed me that disability is probably not the right word for people with challenges in life, they certainly seemed as able as me, if not more so at various times.
So many able bodied people are watching life pass them by, you continue to seize opportunitys to make the most of yours.
Fricking awesome thread, made my day... :bravo:

Thank you for your kind words 'V for vengedtta' I've been to hell & back & I've learned that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger in different ways. The para-olympics where inspirational to watch but my real insiration has to be my 3 year old son. Santa's bringing him his first proper bike 2013 is going to be a awesome year :hyper:

defy-one

I have nothing of real value to offer to this thread, but wanted to say how awesome you come across Iain. With all the challenges you must face on a daily basis I adore your positivity and can do nature. Damn good on you fella
The para-olympics showed me that disability is probably not the right word for people with challenges in life, they certainly seemed as able as me, if not more so at various times.
So many able bodied people are watching life pass them by, you continue to seize opportunitys to make the most of yours.
Fricking awesome thread, made my day... :bravo:

WELL SAID WELL SAID!

defy-one

Iain, we have a daughter with learning difficulties,it certainly makes us appreciate the positive things in life and how lucky people are to have good health. As Venge said .... A inspirational thread i look forward to reading when your bike arrives :goodluck

HovR

Über Member
Welcome to the forums - It's great to hear that even after your accident you're still getting out there, being active and enjoying life!

In terms of safety and being seen, a good set of lights are essential. Not because recumbents are less visible than an upright style bike, but just because the more visible you are the better!

On the rear, if you have the money to spend then the Dinotte 400L is the way to go - Far brighter than car brake lights, so it works excellently even in the day. If you don't have that much money to spend, then a couple of cheaper powerful lights (such as the Blackburn Mars 4.0, 1 watt lights) mounted far apart from each other on the rear will work well.

On the front a Magichshine style light will make you nice and visible to cars pulling out of junctions, and will also allow you to use the Magicshine rear light (3 watts) which plugs in to the front lights external battery pack.

Though, as Cunobelin said, it might be better to wait until you have the trike first so you know what sort of mounting options you have.

Top Bottom