Newbie ready to take to the road on a specially adapted recumbent trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was thinking the same regarding the protective bag for battery box of the neon string whilst putting it inside the pannier with maybe a small damp box too. My trike will have a pair of wing mirrors on for visibilty but does wearing a protective neck brace restrict neck movement significantly?

Recumbents restrict your movements, in that you cannot turn your shoulders in the same way as you do on an upright. Wing mirrors make sense

All my trikes have them

Thank you so much for all the kinds words all posters here have made me feel very welcome :thanks: I will keep everyone updated with this project & I will post pictures when I have some thanks for the advice everyone :thumbsup:

smaller trike.jpg
This is me on a standard built ' Draisin' recumbent trike I assume this will be the back bone of the one I will have built but instead of hand bar steering mine will be shoulder steering

ianjmcd

Über Member
I wouldn't buy anything else yet - even if tempted!

Recumbents often need some adaptations to fit standard parts so having the machine is essential.
The Neon valve covers are an example, they only fir Schraeder valves, if you have the high pressure Presta valves you will need an adapter.

The ones he has ordered for his valves also work on presta valves the bottom ring that connects to schrader valves unscrews leaving the the smaller sized inside that fits on presta valves i know cos i have the same ones

if you do order any that look as if they only fit schrader valves take the time to unscrew the bottom collar and you will find that most fit presta valves too

And sorry meant to add welcome to the forum Iain

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Welcome to the forums. That is a great looking bike. Good luck once you get it home. Red bikes definitely go faster, its totally true.
I look forward to watching the video once made, if it makes it to youtube.

Welcome to the dark side ......... ^_^

I'm not quite so bad as you as I've still got my right arm, my left arm was eaten by a Tiger almost 15 years ago now.
I ride an adapted ICE trike and its one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought.
So I hope you get on well with yours.

A recumbent is very visible on the road as they are so different.
I've ridden mine on everything from from the quiet country roads to busy dual carriageways, ~20k miles in 3 years.
And I still think the most dangerous place I ride mine is the local supermarket car-park and that is only because I'm below the height most car windows.

You will find that every recumbent you see is unique as each rider tends to modify their machines differently.
The standard additions/mods are Flags, Lights, Mirrors, Reflective stickers/tape.
I've never seen two identical ones, so have fun adding bits to yours ......... :tongue:

Top Bottom