Newbie reporting in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CH99

Regular
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hi.

I’ve recently got the cycling bug and bought my first road bike a couple of weeks ago and am absolutely loving it.

I’ve been on a few solo and a group ride with mates who are mad into it, felt it in the legs keeping up with them for 40 miles last weekend and learnt to always keep a decent supply of food on you.

I’m sure there are many many lessons I’ll be learning over the coming weeks and months but I’m trying to be as prepared as possible for when things do go wrong!

Currently living in London and using Komoot which is good for navigation but not so good for actually finding recommended routes (or could be that I don’t know how to use it). Anyone have some decent rides they’d recommend and wouldn’t mind sharing? Distance wise anything 15 - 40 miles rides sounds good & I’m down near Wandsworth.

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hi.

I’ve recently got the cycling bug and bought my first road bike a couple of weeks ago and am absolutely loving it.

I’ve been on a few solo and a group ride with mates who are mad into it, felt it in the legs keeping up with them for 40 miles last weekend and learnt to always keep a decent supply of food on you.

I’m sure there are many many lessons I’ll be learning over the coming weeks and months but I’m trying to be as prepared as possible for when things do go wrong!

Currently living in London and using Komoot which is good for navigation but not so good for actually finding recommended routes (or could be that I don’t know how to use it). Anyone have some decent rides they’d recommend and wouldn’t mind sharing? Distance wise anything 15 - 40 miles rides sounds good & I’m down near Wandsworth.

Cheers
Welcome

40 mile round trip will just about get you out into the Surrey Hills to Box Hill.
Or you can go flat towards Windsor, or follow the Thames west out to Kingston, Hampton Court, Sunbury, Walton, Richmond etc
or out towards Epsom, Tamworth, Banstead Chipstead, Reigate, there’s countryside
or if not as far as Box Hill, to Esher, Oxshott, Leatherhead, Cobham etc.
Follow the A24 south essentially I guess
Plenty of hilly (for London) stuff close by around Wimbledon of course

if you want a more relaxed ride, still ok on skinny tyres, you have the Wandle Trail that goes all the way from Wandsworth to Carshalton

Richmond Park if that’s your thing but not at weekend unless an NHS worker (before 10 or after 4 in week)

Plenty of clubs in SW London, most might go a bit further than your 40 miles though and at a decent pace (15mph+)

OP
OP
C

CH99

Regular
Welcome

40 mile round trip will just about get you out into the Surrey Hills to Box Hill.
Or you can go flat towards Windsor, or follow the Thames west out to Kingston, Hampton Court, Sunbury, Walton, Richmond etc
or out towards Epsom, Tamworth, Banstead Chipstead, Reigate, there’s countryside
or if not as far as Box Hill, to Esher, Oxshott, Leatherhead, Cobham etc.
Follow the A24 south essentially I guess
Plenty of hilly (for London) stuff close by around Wimbledon of course

if you want a more relaxed ride, still ok on skinny tyres, you have the Wandle Trail that goes all the way from Wandsworth to Carshalton

Richmond Park if that’s your thing but not at weekend unless an NHS worker (before 10 or after 4 in week)

Plenty of clubs in SW London, most might go a bit further than your 40 miles though and at a decent pace (15mph+)

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve done a few of the routes you’ve mentioned in a group and so far they’ve been great. Also did a loop of the city in the week which wasn’t as bad as I thought and roads were clear for the most part.

I thought I ate a lot before but my appetite has gone mad. Really not ideal when on a pay cut for the foreseeable future.

Absolutely loving it though - think I’m hooked.

Was told today to start tracking in km’s. Is that the usual for cycling or is it just what my mates have done to make them feel better about the distance covered?!

Cheers

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fashion. Carry on as before.

Your post is very positive. Just be aware that the gains in strength and fitness happen during the 2-3 days after a ride as your muscles recover so eat well with plenty of protein (eggs are good and cheap) and don't overdo it.

OP
OP
C

CH99

Regular
Fashion. Carry on as before.

Your post is very positive. Just be aware that the gains in strength and fitness happen during the 2-3 days after a ride as your muscles recover so eat well with plenty of protein (eggs are good and cheap) and don't overdo it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply & for the tip.

I’ve actually got a stash of supplements/protein powders and as I can’t get the the gym (and not sure I particularly fancy going even when the rules change) it’s a good chance to get some use out of them. Quick to drink, calorie and protein dense & easy to digest.

Luckily my other half has got into too, I can blame the new food bills on both of us!

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I recommend you read a book called The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton. It's about growing cycling obsession and it all takes place in your part of the world, with a tragic twist in the tale. It also contains the best explanation I've read for leg shaving.

Top Bottom